Dry lube for piston on mossberg 930

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ctshooter, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Was wondering if folks had any recommendations for dry lubes for the piston on my 930?

Looked at cabelas yesterday didn't see anything. The only dry lube I have come across is the dry lube for the slides on campers. Other than graphite or the like.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Why do you think a light coating of RemOil or the like will not suffice?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

never lube the piston on any semi auto rifle shotgun or pistol. ESPECIALLY dry lube. all you need to do is clean it dry it thoroughly and put it back in the gun. lube will ruin it jam it up tight and possibly damage the piston housing when it locks up.

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/930 935 Rev D.pdf

from page 15

wipe thoroughly means dry

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Yet jerry miculek says use a dry lube on his mossberg jm pro 930.

I wish a real standard would be developed.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If you need to clean your piston! Use Hoppes #9 or Shooters Choice wipe it off and assemble the piston! As Jon put it so well "DO NOT LUBE A PISTON"!
    And I neither lube my Mossy Turkey 930 Piston

6. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Well I shall just clean it well and lightly oil it then wipe all the oil off.
    I haven't had any issues with the first 100 rounds, just want to keep it that way.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

a celebrity is seldom a good source of information especially when it goes against manufacturer's advice and common knowledge. i respect his shooting skills but his advice in this regard is dubious at best

the 930 is pretty robust its only real flaw is the charging handles can pop out in the woods and be lost forever. but thats typically how its done for cleaning. solvent to loosen and scrape the carbon off, oil to remove solvent then wipe dry

8. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Oh I'm not taking his word as gospel, just would think that he might know something having his name on the gun in question.

That's why I like this forum so much. The amount of knowledge is a fantastic resource.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

You may find at an army surplus store surplus moly spray. It dries hard and slick but you have t watch build up. I never used in a firearm. I bout some Birchwood Casey moly lube in a spray can the other day. have no idea what I'll use it on. It is probably moly suspended in a greas r other lubricant carrrier. I don't think that is a good idea. It might be accumulated at gas ports etc.