Dry Firing?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by NymphoGnome, Feb 21, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Sorry not sure if this goes here :eek:.
    I was wondering after seeing signs in a couple of firearm shops, how bad is dry firing for any firearm? (I am still new to firearms, sorry if I sounds stupid).

2. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I believe dry firing most guns is not good for them.

I personally have snap caps for all of my handguns.

:)

3. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Thank you, that is all I needed to know.

4. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

In my opinion, it's not a good thing to do. Dry firing is fine with snap caps or a dry firing insert such as for M1 and M1A.
    In a rimfire it is downright damaging.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dry firing is a BIG NO NO in rimfires. Use a snap cap or expended piece of brass.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

dry firing in centerfires of modern manufacture user preference. ive never seen or heard of damage in a modern centerfire from dry fire. in a rimfire it can ding up the chamber edges or the firing pin itself to such a state as they are unusable or even make slam fires a possibility from sharp edges on the chamber walls. my .22's all have dings in the chamber edges from forgettting that it is a .22rimfire and just snapping the trigger after a safety check. so far no real damage that i care about but i keep a close eye on sharp burs developing. its a bad habit i cant seem to break.

7. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I always dry fire my Beltfed (Browning ANM2) to verify head space and timing. No problem along with many other Semi auto rifles and pistols.

:)