Dry Firing

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CardiacColt68, Aug 4, 2014.

1. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have started doing some basic dry firing with strong and weak hand in my hotel at night as I travel for work. I am also working on using both eyes as opposed to my strong eye, and so far like the sight picture I am getting. What dry firing techniques or routines do you use? Looking for some added routines to keep things interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. 1911love

1911love New Member

Old soldier's trick: put a dime on the end of the muzzle and then dry fire. Dime shouldn't fall on the ground. I've only done it on semis and AR15s, probably won't work on most revolvers.

I run a Crimson Trace on all my HD and CC weapons. Works great for dry fire practice because you can see if the dot moves when you squeeze. Very helpful IMO.

3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I'll try the dime trick tonight. Spent last night just really using two eyes to focus on the front site, and keep it as steady as possible. I have my CZ 75 with me this week. Might be really tough to keep the dime up in double action.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

run through a scenerio.. load mag, draw, fire, drop mag, load mag, fire.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just don't shoot the TV. The hotel will overcharge you.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Oh... did he mention that part about unload mag first? ;)

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Funny. I have my carry gun with me and an extra loaded with snap caps. And yes I am still clearing and checking my snap cap/dry fire gun each time I practice.

I do not have a holster yet for the 'extra' gun so I am left with a phantom practice draw. I'll order a holster so I can do this right. I tried the dime on the barrel and it was really easy. So I tried a nickel and then a quarter thinking the larger OD would fall off barrel easier. I guess either I am a natural or a CZ75 has a really wide barrel. I guess we all know that answer. After 3 days of work I have a nice feel for drawing the gun, and feeling the first stage of the double action pull. Then I am able to quickly steady the sites and finish the pull. I have also been doing offhand and feeling the fatigue ob my fingers and forearm. I think that is a good thing.

8. byxlaw

byxlaw Member Supporter

Hope not too late... Check out dryfirecards.com. I guess they cover pretty much everything. If tight on money, PM me.

9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Got them, but some of the drills need more preparation than I am going to do in a hotel room.

10. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Rule of thumb: Triple check chamber and mags and go inside of a room with absolutely no ammo in it whatsoever. If you are trained to the point of madness, your instincts may not realize you are loading a mag with live ammo in it.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Yes. I also have only one magazine with me for that gun. It is loaded with 5 snap caps. No other ammo or mags with me when I travel for that gun. I am safe, but man will I be upset if one of my business trips turns into Mogadishu!