dry firing XDM 9mm

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by wick060, Sep 20, 2010.

1. wick060

wick060 New Member

I've been doing some research on dry firing. Obviously this is a center fire firing pin. Will i cause any damage to the weapon by dry firing it? Most of what I've read says no but i would rather get my answers from you guys.
    If you feel it would damage the mechanism, what brand snap caps do you recommend?

The reason I ask this is because when I go to the range I have a tendency to go a little down and to the right. I feel that squeezing the trigger and getting used to a proper pull would be beneficial and in turn i would be more accurate.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A reasonable amount of dry fire rarely hurts a centerfire weapon- but snapcaps are cheap. Mix a snapcap in with a mag of live ammo to reveal flinching/heeling (when it do not go BANG) Brands? A-Zoom, Tipton's, Cabellas, etc. Visit your local gunshop, see what they have in stock. No shop? check Cabellas, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and Amazon.com.

3. VR4

VR4 New Member

It depends on how much you shoot and how much you dry fire. I dry fired my XDm9 everyday for a year and put 1,000 round through it a month. Around 8,000 rounds my striker retainer pin broke which isn't uncommon with the XDM. I was using snap caps as well. I have 11,000 rounds through my XDm9. The best thing to do is buy extra striker retainier pins.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Dry fire it all you want. Not gonna hurt a thing.

5. wick060

wick060 New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Just want to keep it in good working order.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I bought some for my CZ to dry fire with, but I use them more to help me practice mag changes. Using snap caps makes it much easier to hit the slide release. (Feels just like it would using real ammo)

-Fred