Dry firing my Glock?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by GlockRenegade, Jun 2, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Is it ok to dry fire my Glock a few times every day? No snap caps, straight dry firing.

2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I used to dry fire all my striker fired pistols w/o caps. Never had any issues. I do however, use them now. Just because I have them.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I do all the time at home. No problems so far!

4. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

It will not hurt to dry fire it a couple of times a day but if you are going to do it alot. get snap caps. Remember that the firing pin is striking the breech face when there is not round for the firing pin to hit. You only have to pull back the slide slightly to re-cock the gun and fire again. Me, I try not to dry fire at all without a snap cap in place other than when field stripping the gun for cleaning. And by the way, Glock's official word on this is if you are going to dry fire for other than disassembly, use snap caps.

5. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Awesome, good to know, thanks

6. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I dry fire my glock every night for an hour a night to get trigger practice. Never had any issues ever and was told it is ok.

7. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

It will not hurt to dry fire it a 1000 times a day. If you ask any officer that keeps up training they dry fire at least 100 times a day if not more. When I was in the academy we had to do draw a dry fire drills at home at least 200 times a day. Also had to place a coin on the front sight and dry fire not letting the coin move.

8. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Good info, but should I use snap caps in ur eyes?

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

One thing about it, regardless if it's ok to do so without, dry fire WITH caps won't hurt it for sure. You can do malfunction drills also. They aren't expensive for good ones.

10. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

No need to.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Like whats been stated, you can dry fire a glock allday long until your heart's content. It isnt gonna hurt it. Im not a dry fire person, i never feel the need to do it. If your doing it to practice your trigger squeeze "like mentioned" its fine, but some people just feel the need to dry fire a gun anytime they pick one up. Like whenever you show a friend your gun(s) and the first thing they do is dry fire it. UGHHH!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can dry fire the Glock as much as you like, and snap caps are totally unnecessary.

BTW, dry firing is great practice. When I was instructing, I always advised my officers to dry fire at least 200 times per week.

13. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Great info thanks. I generally do it about 10 times a day just to practice

14. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Make sure while "dry firing", you hold the gun tight like when "live" firing, practice only makes perfect, when you practice perfectly.

I imagine placing a penny on the front sight and not droping it while dry firing is a good way to insure your holding rigid, its a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  15. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

200 times a week??? My instructor would scold you. Lol. We had to do it 200 times a day. After class.

16. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I hear from many people theres no issue with the striker pistols, i have heard though that (correct me if im wrong) that on the XD's you should have an empty mag in while dry firing. Glocks too? S&W also? Not sure. Insight on this anyone?

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I've not heard that about XDs, doesn't mean it isn't true. I've dry fired all of the above for years with no issues. As everyone has stated, it won't hurt them. The only ones I NEVER fire without caps are my1911's, SAA's, and a Beretta PX4 that I have since sold due to the de-cocker location.

What exactly was the reason given for the XD/empty mag requirement?

18. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

You have have a empty mag just for safety sake.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

What do you mean? Are you saying it won't dry fire without the mag inserted? I've dry fired mine thousands of times without the mag in the gun.

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Maybe its got one of them "california mag safeties" on it