Dry firing an XD

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Motodeficient, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Motodeficient

Motodeficient New Member

Is it ok to dry fire my XD? In the manual for my sigma it said it was ok, but it does not mention anything about it in my XD manual.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

3. Motodeficient

Motodeficient New Member

yes I have 5 snap caps that came with the gun from the previous owner, I was just wondering if he bought them because it was harmful for the XD to be dry fired

4. User Name

User Name New Member

It is not harmful for a glock to be dry fired. JUST sayin :D

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You're OK dry firing a Glock, but DON'T put a bullet in it!!:eek:

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

rofl!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Personally, I think snap caps are a great idea. Why take the chance of breaking a firing pin when they're so cheap?

Most striker-fired guns reset the trigger with just a partial slide rack so you only need one...

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's simple, if you are worried...don't do it! [​IMG]

From an engineering standpoint, if the system is designed to strike a primer, why would you accept a non-design use for the pistol?

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Dry-fire it. You're just compressing a spring.

10. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

The answer to this from Springfield Armory is that it is OK to dry fire occasionally (after all, you must dry fire to field strip), but for repeated dry fire practice it is recommended to use snap caps to protect the striker retainer roll pin.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  11. lightning96

lightning96 New Member

Dry firing

My gun store owner told me when I picked up my XDM 9 pretty much the same thing dry firing was ok because of the design of the gun but it does not hurt to use snap caps:)

12. lightning96

lightning96 New Member

Dry firing

I was talking to my son this morning he was telling me that when he was in basic training for the AIR FORCE they told them to dry fire the guns for practice.

13. kzink

kzink New Member

i dry fire mine one after it has been stripped just to make sure everything works and no problems yet

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Every branch of the military does this. They dry fire darn near everything for practice. You have to remember, if they break a firing pin Uncle Sam buys them a new one. Best route to take is snap caps if you're going to be doing any amount of dry firing even if the XD is designed for it. Dry fire to strip, not a problem. Now, can we put this thread to bed?