dry fire

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by collier281, Mar 13, 2010.

1. collier281

collier281 New Member

i have been told by c/c instructors that you dry fire any hand gun/rifle/shotgun except a .22 cal.(no snap caps needed except .22)
    this doesn't seem to have been told to me by other people
    can anyone give me an answer as to whether this is true
    thank you
    bill

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. deth502

deth502 New Member

how does your instructor know how i handle my firearms??

i would not be afraid to dry fire most any firearm, including most 22's, without snap caps. but any firearm, rimfire or not, is better off if you do use one, especially if you plan on doing a lot of dry fire exercises.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I always recommend snap caps if possible to prevent wear and/or breakage of firing pins-especially on handguns. Sure you can get by without them but it just makes good sense to use snap caps if you're going to be extensively dry firing as part of training. Dry firing .22s will eventually peen the chamber.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only .22 pistol i know is safe to the firearm to dry fire is the ruger mk1-3 series. part of the disassmebly is dryfiring. the bolt has a firing pin overtravel stop preventing chamber to pin contact.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Is this you?
    [​IMG]

6. WDB

WDB New Member

Snap caps are cheap and I've never heard of them damaging a firearm. Cheap insurance and peace of mind when dry firing.

My 2C

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I have seen .22 rimfire firing pins damaged by dry firing. If you are in doubt, check with the firearm maker's customer service techs. It is a very common question. Better to be safe and protect your investment.