Dry Fire Tips

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by mandala0915, Jun 3, 2012.

1. mandala0915

mandala0915 New Member

Hi Everyone! I am a new gun owner and new to this site as well.

I have a 9mm SA Pistol. I wanted to ask about tips about proper / safe Dry Firing procedures.

Thanks in advance!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check that the pistol is unloaded.
    Check again that the pistol is unloaded.
    Did that?
    Now, check again that the pistol is unloaded.

Now get the snap caps you bought. Load it (use the magazine, don't drop one in the chute and let the slide go forward. Feed from the magazine.)

Sit in your favorite chair.
    Remember the four steps of
    Sight alignment,
    Breath control,
    Squeeze the trigger,
    And follow-through

(a good aiming point is the light switch across the room)

Cock the hammer and fire.

You did make sure the real ammunition is stored away from where you are doing this, right?

3. Eddy_J

Eddy_J New Member

Snap caps? What are them? Talking like blanks?

4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

These are plastic dummie rounds that you can use for "dry firing" aka "snapping in."

They prevent injury to your firing pin, and also allow you to become familiar with the mechanism of the weapon.

Since you are unlikely every to be shooting from a chair, I would suggest practicing while standing in front of a mirror. Aim for the guy's chest in the mirror. See if the handgun (pistol or revolver) moves when you squeeze the trigger. It should not.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

This......

Attached Files:

6. mandala0915

mandala0915 New Member

Thanks for all the response! I got my snap caps and i have started dry-firing, safely!!!

7. FirearmsAuction_org

FirearmsAuction_org New Member

mandala0915: suggest you become familiar with the "tap-rack-access" drill. The drill is an emergency drill used if your pistol misfires.
    1st: Tap or hit the mag sternly, this ensures the mag is seated correctly
    2nd: Rack the slide manually, this ejects the improperly seated, stove piped, double feed or non-functional round. (several racks are sometimes needed)
    3rd: access threat and fire if applicable

After becoming familiar with the drill... have a friend load the mag with both dummy and live rounds without you knowing the order. (always keep your firearm facing downrange)

This is a great way to discover anticipation in your shot as it will become very apparent when you chamber a dummy round, pull the trigger in anticipation of a live round.

8. 51colt

51colt New Member

I am by no means an expert on shooting i am self taught. I shoot a lot and watch training videos and do the dry fire thing using snap caps. I did pick up one thing from a Marine Corps video yesterday. I have always used the pad of my trigger finger. I noticed in the video they were using the joint on their trigger finger so i tried it what a difference it made. Trigger control was much easier and it lightened the trigger pull a lot. In fact i tried it on my CZ 52 which has the worst trigger of any gun i own and i found it made the trigger very manageable. I don't know if you already do this or not but it helped me a lot.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

+1 but i think you shouldnt sit... it's hard to learn good STANCE from sitting. but other wise good

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Trigger control is an essential skill. A good trigger helps but the shooter still has to do his part by squeezing the trigger w/o disturbing the weapon platform. This is easiest w the tip of the finger - no more than a fingernail's portion of the pad.

If you use too much or too little finger you will push/pull or move the platform L/R from line of sight. We've all seen the trigger charts. These are just guidelines - not set in stone.

Dry firing will help you achieve a clean release or straight backward trigger pull. Lasers are also excellent for training as well.

There's a phrase I learned in my youth which is "within the performance limits of the ammunition." (for accuracy) Only a few of my guns are even capable of this type of performance but at least when the groups open up, I know what the culprit is - Me...:eek:

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Follow through. When the trigger breaks- freeze. Look at where your sights are AFTER hammer drops. If you are heeling, dragging the trigger, etc- the sights is gonna move. When the trigger breaks- LOOK at what you are doing- do not just immediately chamber another snap cap. Little Zen moment there........