DRY-FIRE question

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by QuickCobalt1, Oct 29, 2010.

1. QuickCobalt1

QuickCobalt1 New Member

Hey guy I'm new to this forum & am lookin' for a answer that I probably should know. I'm about to buy a BRYCO ARMS model Jennings 9mm inspite of all the bad things i've heard, the price is so low it's worth the risk to me. The question I have is that the pistol won't dry-fire. The owner says that these guns don't dry-fire...sounds fishy to me. Anyway if anyone could shed a little light on this situation I'd much appretiate it. Thanks for lookin'. :confused:

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

This IS fishy.
    Jennings/ Bryco are now known as Jimenez. As far as I know, not many changes have been made to the design, they WILL dry fire.
    However they will not cock while the safety is on, the slide can be pulled back, but it will not go back far enough to cock, or chamber a round. The safety must be in the FIRE position to chamber a round, or cock the mechanism.
    I would not go through with this sale.
    If you must have a Jennings/Bryco/Jimenez, they can be bought brand new for around $100.

3. QuickCobalt1

QuickCobalt1 New Member

Thats what i was thinkin'

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna pass on it. I don't know a ton about guns but it seems if it wont dry-fire then it wont work with a round in the chamber. It will cycle the entire clip through the gun so I know it's being pulled back far enough to cock. If you look at the trigger there is no movement in it when u cock it, it has the same little bit of wiggle whether it's chambered or empty. It's nice to be able to run these things by other enthusiasts.

4. Win73

Win73 New Member

They will dry fire. What he was probably trying to tell you is that is so cheaply made that it will break if you dry fire it.

5. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Thast is normal, no dry fire.

The trigger works only when the magazine is inserted and a round is chambered, furthermore if there is a round chambered and the magazine is ejected, the pistol won't fire.

Lets say the pistol is a 9+1, and you want to carry a full load (10 rounds).
    First you put a bullet in the magazine, insert the magazine, chamber a round, then pull the magazine out to insert the other nine bullets.
    While you are doing the, the trigger mechanism is disabled as a security measure, this is done because the trigger pull on this type of weapon is very short .:cool:

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah..I think those things wont work without a mag inserted.

7. QuickCobalt1

QuickCobalt1 New Member

?????????????????

I know its not the safest but i kept my finger on the trig to see if it got harded with a round chambered and there was no tension on the trigger at all. I dont understand, plus im getting 2 answers here. Some say it should and others say no. And you all sound like you know what your talking about. I give up, thanks for the help anyway. Much appretiated.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. QuickCobalt1

QuickCobalt1 New Member

Lol

Funny!:D No he was saying this particular brand DOSE NOT DRY FIRE. Which I dont understand but others seem to think thats the way it gose. :)

9. freefall

freefall New Member

Don't buy cheap crap. I don't care if it's a car, gun, hammer, you name it. Cheap crap is cheap crap.

10. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

If you're gonna go with a cheapie at least get a Hi-Point !
    If you can do better please do. If funds are the problem save a bit and get a Taurus, they are good quality guns that won't break the bank ! EAA is another option. They are made by Tangfolio based on the Browning Hi-Power and CZ-75 design. These are good guns for the money as well. They can be a bit bulky, but they work just fine and hold a lot of rounds. Their 10 mm is pretty popular.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  11. QuickCobalt1

QuickCobalt1 New Member

your missing the question...SHOULD THEY DRYFIRE??????

This isnt my first gun purchase, its more of a novelty then anything. I already have a Taurus Millenium Pro 40 S&W, it broke the first time out. Thankfully Taurus' have lifetime warrenties. My original question was SHOULD THESE GUNS DRY FIRE????? Thats the only question, I'm not looking for opinions on what gun I should buy, I'm just trying to get a question answered.
    I know there cheap, I know they suck, I also know for what I'm gonna pay for it its probably worth more in scrap. Anyway nevermind it sounds like most of you guys aren't sure 1 way or the other. Thanks anyway.

12. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

Sorry to get off track. If it is striker fired some dry firing won't hurt.
    If they are hammer and pin, I don't recommend it ! What generation Millenium do you have ?