dry fire a semi-auto safely?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by myc1972, Nov 23, 2013.

1. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

On my CZ-70 I can still pull the trigger and the hammer strikes even if the slide is off and there is no firing pin to hit & no ammo, or magazine in it.

Is it safe for the gun to be dry-fired like this so I can get a feel of where the trigger activates the hammer to fire?

Hope it's not confusing. :eek:

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Usually not a great idea to dry fire against the frame with no slide attached. Some pistols may have a thin web of metal that can be deformed or, in aluminum frames, cracked.
    That being said: When working on 1911 triggers with the slide off I usually lay my thumb in front of the hammer about 1/8 inch away so it can be used as a hammer stop and protect the frame.

3. When the Earth was a Younger Place...

I was a "Small Arms Repairman" in the Marine Corps. From that training, I can relate an M16 rifle is NOT to be dry fired with the bolt not in place. The problem with the M16 is (at least, was) not the frame, but the hammer itself. There was (possibly still is) a good chance of the hammer itself breaking below the large 'head' portion and above the pivot pin hole.

I personally do NOT dry fire any hammer type firearm without the bolt and firing pin, et al, in place to receive the blow.

So now that's TWO reasons not to.

[/curmudgeon mode]

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Snap caps (even though the manufacturer did not supply them) would be a good idea.

5. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I'm not a smith or a metallurgical but I wouldn't dryfire anything without the slide.
    And while I will dry fire some of my guns, (I know which I can and can't) I would never do so to someone else's, without approval, no mater what the manufacturer might say.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

Yep, getecha some snap caps.

7. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

+1.........

8. SSGN_Doc

Snap caps won't do any good with the slide off of the frame, however.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Then why practice dry fire? The sights are on the slide.

Practice pulling a trigger can be accomplished by using other toys.
    http://www.thetriggertrainer.net/

10. SSGN_Doc

The OP indicated wanting to see trigger engagement. Possibly working in a trigger or diagnosing a problem. Done this with 1911s when fitting fire control parts, but I use my thumb as a stop and don't let the hammer hit the frame.

For dry fire practice, snap caps for sure.