Drums?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bob Wright, May 13, 2009.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I've been noticing on several posts hereabouts the use of the word drums in referring to the cylinder of a revolver.

Is this a new buzzword? Been cylinder ever since I became interested in the handgun.

So?

Bob Wright

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I just read a post that referred to the cylinder as a revolver drum. I dunno' but it's definitely the wrong nomenclature.

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Well, I wasn't trying to be facetious of know-it-all sounding, sometimes words come into use from many different aspects. Thought maybe correspondent was foreign or localized usage. Sure didn't mean to imply anything offensive.

Bob Wright

4. CA357

I certainly didn't take any offense, I agree with you. I hadn't heard it before, and it's definitely the wrong terminology. ;)

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I never heard it before but it just sounds wrong. When I hear drum in the context of weapons I think of the drum magazines, not a cylinder in a revolver.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I can see the word "drum" being somewaht applicable to a rotary magazine fired shotgun like a Striker or Street Sweeper but for a revolver? No. It sounds more ghetto slang than anything. "Yo, Tyrone. You best be chekin' the drum on yo gat. Make sho you got enuff bu-etts."

7. CA357

I think you probably nailed it robo. :cool:

Street slang for a shotgun around here is a gauge. :rolleyes:

8. WDB

WDB New Member

It may be someone new to firearms calling the cylinder a drum. Like calling a mag a clip:confused: