drop in wilson combat barrels to fit ur 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by pranc2, Feb 13, 2011.

1. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i was doing some checking out on wilson combats site and i found drop in barrels for almost any full size 1911 and a 4inch barrel to fit my kimber for $200. wilson's site said the 4" only fits kimbers. was thinking of getting one after i can get a holster for it as well. Anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? does it have to go through an FFL?:D if you havent already you should check out wilson combat's site and dream like i like to sometimes.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Barrels are not considered firearms and an FFL isn't needed. Thought about doing this for my Colt, but never got the money together.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Please be aware that many 1911 parts advertised as drop in's sometimes aren't and require fitting to operate correctly. The 1911 is the lego set of the handgun world and the amount of aftermarket parts available is staggering. Get a copy of the Brownell's 1911 catalog sometime for proof of this point. The reason they make brand specific barrels is some brands use ramped barrels and many sub 5 inch guns use bull barrels versus the government standard bushed barrels.

I have to ask, what makes you think you need a new barrel?

4. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

needed and wanting are two different things. would not even think of it if it wasnt Wilson Combat. but it is.. sooo... barrel is bored to .00005 inch to perfect. also less than half and inch at 25yards in .45acp. it would be like having a sleeper kimber. long range accuracy being one of the biggest things that puts the two apart(to me). and for $200 why not..

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The barrel is only 1 part of the accuracy factor. The key is to have the same lockup each and every time.
    What other parts are involved? Barrel bushing, Barrel link, Barrel lugs (top and bottom), headspace of ammo, ammunition itself, extractor interference (if any), etc...

Now the question is can you shoot .5" at 25 yards? Or 4" at 100 yards?

6. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i wish.. hows yours at 100yrds. with a pistol?
    pretty sure that is measured from a bench gun..
    barrel link and pin... yes checked it out
    agreed that a barrel is only part of accuracy, just like a tire is just a part on the car.
    also agree that it is the user of the weapon. and in my case their is nothing wrong with the user or the weapon.

by your estimations couldnt you say the same of a trigger job?

but i am going to talk to a gunsmith that i know before i make a finial descsion.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If you're stuck on Wilson Combat, sent them your gun and have them "tune" it a bit. Guaranteed they will do a fine job and everything will work when it leaves their shop.

8. danf_fl

How accurate is your firearm? Most manufacturer barrels will give aftermarkets a good run for the money. Put it in a Ransom Rest and see if the accuracy needs to be improved.

A trigger job (if done correctly) will definitely help any modern firearm.

9. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I have a Kimber Customer II and when I bought it, they told me it has a match-grade barrel and bushing (source: Kimber America | Custom II ). That was one of the reasons I chose Kimber over less-expensive 1911s. I did not see specific accuracy claims. I would like to see some if someone had any. Other than the stock-sights being off-center by a few inches at 7 yards, it puts very tight groups together. More tight than I can aim.

I am still interested how your barrel-swap goes. :D

10. danf_fl

I have an old Springer with a 2 piece barrel. I've used it in competitions and have 20,000+ rounds through the original barrel.

It still groups 5 rounds in one hole at 25'. The hole may not be .451", but it is not larger than 1".

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's quite rare that a shooter can "challenge" the inherent mechanical accuracy of any quality handgun. It's your money so go for it but don't expect miracles...

12. jca1

jca1 New Member

pranc2, my guess is that the Kimber specific, WC drop in barrel ,is made to Kimber's spec's. Meaning you will have the same barrel you have now, only with a WC roll mark.

Just a guess.

13. xd45

xd45 New Member

I am an old guy and surely not real smart. But i can tell you this, over the years I have had several Colt 45's and a few other brands. I then bought a Springfield 1911 A1 plain jane out of the box and could out shoot any of the Colts I had. No big modifications needed to be made. As always, if you work up a load you like and shoot your pistol, ya ain't gonna need a 200 dollar barrel...That barrel will not make your gun shoot any better...You learning where to aim will. If you are putting your sights on target and hitting to the left. A Wilson barrel ain't gonna make it shoot a little to the right. Just my thoughts.
    Believe me I know where to aim mine to hit what I want to hit. But above all this, Ain't 45's the greatest?
    No attacks please.....Thanks.

14. ironsights

ironsights New Member

Well said, hitting the target is usually done by the person behind the barrel and maybe just practice time is needed....but like you said it's your money

15. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i am not questioning the weapon at all. and have been going to the range often and trying little different things to see what works well for me. and still yet getting better. with still a lot to learn with myself. but i do know when i am messing up.

Barrels | Bushings | Links | Bushing Wrenches-Wilson Combat

check it out yourselves if you would.
    do very much understand and believe "if it aint broke dont fix it."
    i guess the way to best describe my want is instead of getting rims(i.e. grips) for my car (kimber) i want a aftermarket engine (barrel).
    and also if you think that wilson combat is not one of the best 1911's you can get. that is just an opinion. and tell me that barrel isnt just beautiful.

did not mean to "attack" anyone
    just thought that friendly arguments were part of a forum.
    maybe the money would be better spent on another weapon.

thank you all for your input either way

16. danf_fl

I applaud you for going your own way. Some of us have tried things (read different "upgrades").

I have no problems with personalizing / upgrading / blinging anything you want, but when you do, go in with an open mind and questions.

If I could recoup some of the money I've wasted on firearms, I could have a 2nd Ed Brown.

17. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

thanks.. i seemed to do that quite a bit.

i have a couple of months to think it over anyway. but will let everyone know the information i find out.