Drop Charts

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrb1982, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

A question for you long range guys. If you are working up drop charts, how accurate are they? Of course, it's always good to check them. I am just curious how close they actually are the first time you take them out to check them? I haven't done one yet but am just curious how good they work I guess.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Lots of variables, temperature is huge. Ammo can, and does vary from lot to lot as do reloads when changing lots of powder. For hunting it is not that big a deal, but after zeroing at 100 yards, it gives you clicks on your scope that should put you on at further distances. Are you using a ballistics calculator to begin with?

3. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Yeah, that's my plan. I won't be shooting any target, just for hunting purposes. I am hoping to practice enough to be good enough to kill a deer at 600yds someday. I have a scope that has the target turrets on it so I can dial my drops in. Is there a specific ballistics calculator that you would recommend? I've played around with the one on the Berger website and the Huskamaw website a few times. If there are some other good, user friendly ones that are known to be accurate, I'm all ears. Thanks.