Driving from PA through NJ and NY; question about laws

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dr_psych, May 14, 2013.

1. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

I'm driving from PA (where I do have a carry license) through New Jersey and New York states. As I understand it both NJ and NY do not recognize the PA carry license. I would prefer to drive with my gun. Does anyone know the laws with regard to how am allowed to bring the handgun? I drove through Illinois and they said it had to be unloaded, not accessible, and in a case. Would the same apply to NJ and NY? Or, would they not even permit that?

Thanks

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

From the Legal Heat app.

Hollow point bullets are prohibited in New Jersey?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2013

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Unloaded and cased in the trunk or other inaccessible location. Ammo must be in a separate case. Not sure whether mags larger than 15 can be transported through NJ or larger than 10 through NY. No reciprocity in NJ for any state's permit not sure of NY. No deviation permitted in NJ, if you so much as stop to pee you can be arrested, suggest you stay in PA as long as possible and cut through NJ only to get to NY.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hollow points are permitted but only at home and the range. Transporting them through the state is risky.

5. gemini

gemini New Member

In order to carry a gun in NYS,you have to have NYS pistol permit.

6. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not looking to carry it. I'm only interested in bringing it with me and keeping it in the car.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

in NYS you are allowed to keep it locked and in the trunk away from ammo.. but only for transport.. once you stop for gas, or to eat lunch in NYS you are now considered in possesion of said pistol and face jail time... i would advise you not waste time nore money in either of these two commie states.

8. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

The whole thing is ridiculous. Thieves, rapists, and drug addicts don't abide by these laws. They are free to use these weapons against innocent people Ike me who are just trying to protect my family from their crap. Gun laws are a complete joke. Lets make it tougher for innocent people while thugs and other criminals get to freely use guns to hurt normal people. Makes a lot if sense to me.

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

There are differences between "carrying" and "transporting", I recommend you understand the diff. between the two and the laws governing the two.

There is a book titled Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, by J. Scott Kappas, Esq., I recommend everybody order one and consult it before carrying or transporting a firearm in any state.

It is also very advisable to contact the state police in each state you will travel to or through, to find out if any laws have changed since publication of the book above.

More specifically, NJ & NY don't play nice with firearms owners. Good luck and be knowledgable!

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Whatever you do ... stay the hell away from NYC ... a trap of sorts.

11. gemini

gemini New Member

To carry or transport a handgun in NYS you MUST have a NYS pistol permit. No ifs or buts.

12. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

OK, just a hypothetical here - what is the definition of a handgun? What if say with a Glock you removed the barrel and sent it via UPS to your final destination, are you still transporting a firearm if there is no way for it to fire a round???

13. MisterMcCool

The receiver is the pistol. Everything else is a part.

14. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

If I was you I would call the state police for NY and NJ.

15. dickie3625

dickie3625 New Member

Just drive man jesus. No ones guna know u have it. Just keep it of plain sight. If u get stoped the dbag cop is just guna give u ticket for whatever u were violating. Not search your car. U would have to concent to that which i dont kno y anyone would. And hell never randomly ask to go thru ur car unless your suspicious as hell. Nj cops got better **** to deal with than small time cops. N if for sum reason he asks if u have ne drugs ir guns in the car. Just lie n say no officer. Duh easy. No go driving wherever u like

16. MisterMcCool

You know, Dickie has a good point. I cannot imagine why your vehicle would be searched unless it were being inventoried for impound. I don't recommend lying to law enforcement, but being vague or silent..... Innocent until proven guilty.

17. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

in a word dont in nj you will be arrested just for haveing a handgun without a nj firearm permit. even it it taken appart and locked up ny will arrest you if your magazine is over 7 bullets theirs a federal law thats soupost to protect you if your just passing thure. but nj and ny dont care they will still arrest you impound your gun you will spend thounds defending yourself, they will drop the case after awail and you will haft to file a law suit spending thounds more to get your gun back which probley only cost a few hundred this has happened and people have gone to prison dont do it

18. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

you can just ups or fedx ground it to where your going then ship it back home no air fright and no us post office

19. john300k

john300k New Member

Bring the gun with you to New Jersey and then shoot yourself for being in New Jersey...thank God I don't live there anymore!

20. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

main reason i left in va know