drilling

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by enfieldaddict, Jan 8, 2014.

1. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

I would love for someone to make ones at an affordable price

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!! Good luck with that.

3. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Yea I know its a great design

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Sorry, but there is NOTHING, IMHO, that makes any modern in production shotgun worth that much money. Fascinating OP, OP…..

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Not as sexy but, not nearly as expensive, how about an American version of the Drilling? The Savage Stevens Model P24 gives you nearly the same functionality, for about $57,500 less!:)

Attached Files:

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The Germans also make a Vierling, which have four barrels. The combinations of calibers, rifle/shotgun barrels are endless though. The bigger calibers cost more. Plus, there are tubes that can be placed in the shotgun barrels to fire pistol or rifle cartridges. Like I said endless combinations...

http://www.hallowellco.com/vierling.htm

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, that's kind of part of the thing about drillings. They aren't a "modern design". In most examples, they are mostly hand made. Getting more than one barrel to shoot at the same point of aim is an art of sorts, and in hours, there could be a year if work in one. So, for a half a year to a years work, along with unique hand engraved artwork, it seems a fair price.

Italy not be in my budget. But, neither are a lot if cars that roll off of an assembly line, and come out as cookie cutter pieces, with no real soul or individuality put into them.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You can often buy nice used older drillings for $1000 to $2000. A friend of mine has two or three drillings. Many of the older ones are 16 ga which was very common in Europe while not so much over here.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have hunted with drillings. They are nice shooters and beautiful guns. After a couple days of carrying a drilling through the woods it will get shoved to the back of the safe and forgotten. If I was going to buy a drilling I would get a savage. The savage is accurate and affordable. I am not overjoyed with the available models savage offers now. 22lr/410 or 22 wmr/410. A 20 ga would be much more useful. The new savages are sold as youth models. The 410 is for expert shooters, not kids.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

JD - Keep your eyes peeled at gun shows and on gunbroker. I was fortunate enough to buy both of mine before the prepper craze hit and bought both of them 2nd hand at LGS for reasonable prices. The prices these days can be fairly steep but every once in a while even a blind squirrel gets a nut!

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

interesting take on suitability of the 410. i half agree, i think 410 is good for young uns, start a 6 year old on one, almost no recoil, they get good with that and they will be expert shooters, be able to hit with anything.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I had a 20 ga single shot at 7. I manged to kill a deer my first season. Even with the lightweight single shot recoil was manageable. The only time the 20 ga beat me down was at a benefit shoot. The prize was a half a cow. I must have shot a 100 cards for elderly ladies and people who sent money for anyone to shoot in their place. I woke up the next AM with s black and blue shoulder.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Would it not actually be Dreilling? Pronounced Dry-ling?

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Germans call it a drilling. Not aware it ever being spelled Drei though.
    Yet, they pronounce a four barrel Vierling (Vier being four of course.)