Dressing up your AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BenLuby, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

So, do you run lean and mean, with minimal additions, just letting it all hang out, or do you Mr. T it up with all the bling and blang you can pack on it, prepared to go in any emergency that ever comes up?
    Are you somewhere in the middle? Minimum barrel exposure, or do you like short rail set ups with a lot of the hog leg sticking out to attract attention?
    Is she a painted lady, or just au natural, with no make up on her?

I personally like having barrel showing, and minimal additions. BUIS, RDS, removable magnifier and fore grip, and that's about it.
    How do you run? Why?
    With me, it's really a weight issue, and I get distracted by too many shiny things. I prefer lean and mean so that I have no distractions.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Rds, sling, light. All you need.

I like having a battery assist device (~1/2 oz). I think the magnifier is nice if you plan on going out to over 200 yards. Great thing is, its removeable so slap it on when you need it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very minimal. A2 upper with a carry handle mount for a red dot if i want to. a sling, and lots of mags!

that's what i like about the AR, from mild to wild. whatever your desires are, it's all about you want on one. very adaptable platform. want a different caliber, buy another upper. between the makers of AR's and the aftermarket parts and accessories, you can have your AR in any way that suits your needs or wants.

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Lego's for gun nuts. (And I are one, so don't get pi$$ed.)

5. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

It depends on what I'm using it for. The last one I built is the lightweight style, more for hiking than tactical. It's got a sling, vari x II 3x9, and a houge grip. That's it. :)

image-3663855751.jpg

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The Mr Potato-Head of the rifle world. :)

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I have .270's, 9mm, .40's, .22s, a bunch of different firearms. This is the most fun of the bunch.

8. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I HATE the FSP for no real reason. I just can't stand it. I like my girls to show very little barrel, 15" hand-guards on 16" barrels. I'm running a quad rail now, but for weight purposes Ill be switching to the MI GEN2 SS15 hand-guards that are 15" guards that weigh 10.3 oz :-D. I'll run a forgrip, MBUS, RDS, and that's about it. I'm in the air on a flashlight. Trying to keep weight down for practical purposes (I shed 3+ lbs when I dropped the bipod to a QD mount and carry it with me, not always on, and went from scoped to RDS.

But you have seen mine already. My bling is in the colors :p

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

OoOo let me know how that hand guard works out for you. Been keeping my eye on that one. Pics plz. I do like the dissapator look with long rails! Pron plzz!

I think you can forgo the fore grip and shed a little weight if you can get comfortable with the thumb over grip.

If you get LaRue qd mounts (or any high quality QD mounts), you can swap out the RDS and Scope with little to no loss of zero.

I am getting a qd mount for my lights (scope rings work fantastically for this).

I love the modularity of ARs :D

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Lean and mean 16" carbine here. MOE handguards, stock and grip, a good VTAC or VCAS sling and a bunch of scratches and dings. That'll do. Keep her under 8 lbs with 30rds in the magazine.

11. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Once I grab the new rail I'll definitely give the thumb over c-clamp hold another go, and I expect to find it easier and more comfortable with a tune rail instead of a quad. In which case, the foregrip can be dropped as well, but I may throw the AFG back on if it helps make the angle at the wrist more comfortable.

Would have to really trial and error light positions that way to see what allows me the greatest manipulation of the light with the smallest change from normal firing hand positions.

Either way, a pistol is in the pipe before any further upgrades to the AR. I need a sidearm! (M&P9 is what I want)

12. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

+1 for the VTAC sling. I wouldn't go any other way, it's just to easy to manipulate with the long draw-cord and whatnot, makes synching the weapon to your chest for transitioning to a sidearm as easy as it can possibly be without a good ole' tap to the boys.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I like a good optic, like an ACOG, EOTECH or Aimpoint, and a good 3 point sling.

Nothing else, unless you have the $11,500 for a thermal imaging sight.:p

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I'm a MOE guy myself, I likem light and short . However I have a troy trx vtac 15" on the way . When my other 2 receivers get here one is going to be a 20" retro for my dad and the other is going to be a long wait but it will be a 10.5" sbr . That will be it for a while until I can save up for a SCAR 17S