Drawing the line???!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by coopertrooper, Dec 31, 2013.

1. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I have literally know idea and I'm a little embarrass to say that I do not know but what is the absolute line of size of s ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388467287.161326.jpg hot that I can put through a .665 ( full choke ) choke and still have a good pattern and not destroy my choke, #4 buck?? #1 buck?? I have no idea, please help

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Do not be embarrassed. I have absolutely no idea either.
    It is not something I have had to think about. All of my shotguns have been abused.

Good question tho'

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You will have better patterns with an open choke. Do not use an extended extra full turkey choke to shoot buckshot. People say a full choke is best. I have yet to see a full choke shotgun that can match my 20" cylinder barrel, if we both are using the same ammo. Smaller buckshot holds a tighter pattern than larger buckshot.

If you can not put a dime in a 12 ga barrel you have a full choke. #4 buckshot will pattern best from a full choke. Smaller buckshot will hsve less deformation with a full choke.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Lead buckshot will not hurt any choke tube. Best (tightest) patterns will likely be achieved with modified to improved modified chokes. Rule of thumb - the bigger the pellets, the less choke is needed.
    If you have not seen anything pattern tighter than a 20" cylinder barrel, you have not seen many patterns.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth. The obvious answer is to try all your chokes to see how they do. You can not harm the chokes with buckshot. Each shotgun/ammo combo is different, what works best for one gun may not in yours.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have NO idea about your choke, but I have found that a plain old modified choke shoots buck shot best !.............

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

#3 buck in a double 20.
    Imp=5" @ 7 yards
    Mod=4" @ 7 yards.
    Cylinder bore 12 gauge #4 buck = 6" @ 7 yards.
    These are actual patterns fired by me in my guns. Expect an additional 1" of spread for each additional yard.
    While rifled slugs are designed to go through a choke, single round balls are not. Do not shoot ball and buck loads in a choked gun.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Only a few Browning's and Beretta's.... I am not talking about 7 yards where a deformed pellet will still hit close in the pattern. I am talking about 30/40 yards. Fair match, both guns using the same ammo.

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

What do the guys rolling coyotes at 70 yards use?

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A rifle.........