Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by RL357Mag, May 12, 2008.

1. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Dragunaov SVD Sniper Rifles currently for sale by SOG International? They are fairly cheap ($595) w/out scope. They look like an elongated AK-47 with thumbhole stock, chambered in 7.62x54. Was wondering how accurate they are. The ammo is about the cheapest available next to 7.62x39.

2. Ermac

Ermac New Member

I thought you hated everything AK:p

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have only ever fired one round through one that a guy had at the range when I was there. It was ackward to get behind because the stock was short, the scope has a strange ( probably useful if you learn to use it ) range finding reticle and I was not overly impressed.

But, what can you expect for $600? It could probably be tuned to fire MOA with some love and patience...

JD

4. Ermac

Ermac New Member

There's always the sights if you don't feel like shooting with the scope.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Since I work in a custom rifle shop, if I am going to shoot a "sniper" or long range tactical rifle, I am not going to be using folding or fixed iron sights - I don't care how well they were made... LOL

I would just pull one of my Leupold's and mount it up for a day, dial it in with a Collometer, and call it a day. :cool:

JD

6. Ermac

Ermac New Member

I still think the best precision rifle is the M1 garand and Springfield 1903. And btw I wouldin't get a dragonov if it's Romanian.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Blasphemy. :p

The best precision rifles are being turned out everyday, in custom rifle shops all across the country, and in some places around the world.

The shear evolution of parts, tolerances, manufacturing and skill of the craftsmen take today's models to a whole 'nother level over even what our fathers were able to field.

Find me an M1 or a Springfield that will group as tight with one of our custom shop rifles and I will give it to you. ;):D

JD

8. fragout

fragout New Member

I'm not sure about this paticular brand that you are refering to, but the SVD's that we captured in Iraq/Afganistan would only produce consistent 2MOA. Several of us have been at this over the years now, and overall, out of 7 different rifles, 2MOA was the consitent average. Better quality ammunition would have helped, but we dont believe that it would have brought it down to sub MOA however.
    Ergonomics of the SVD are somthing else entirely. I would recomend that you handle a few examples, and see if you care for it prior to pullin your wallet out.
    If your lookin for a true/consistent sub MOA rifle, the SVD most likely aint gonna make the grade. I would look into bolt action custom builds for that kinda performance
    Hope this helps.

11B

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. lhk

lhk New Member

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Thanks Fragout. Kinda what I thought considering the Kalashnikov design! I guess it was just the look that enamored me...My AR-10 and 15 are sub moa and at this point, spending that money on something with a longer barrel and less accuracy doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense...

11. fisherofmen1987

fisherofmen1987 New Member

do you happen to know what kind of thread the flash suppressor is on the SVD? mine has gotten screwed on really tightly and i don't remember if it is a right handed or left handed thread. i have tried to find it in some manuals online, but they didn't have any info on it.

12. BudW

BudW New Member

Most them sold in the USA are not really Dragonovs

13. Hullcreature

Hullcreature New Member

Svd

The SVD is capable of MOA, but its very rare. The ergonomics on the SVD are the killer. It is designed for small soldiers, most of them (unless modified) have a very very short length of pull.
    They are fun to shoot, they will hit what you are aiming at 100% of the time, they will not shoot a one hole group at 1000 yards though. If you are not too worried about this then grab one. You can always toss 4 inches of spacers on the butt.
    The Russian glass on them is mediocre at best, so if you are not too interested in keeping it "military issue" then toss a good sight on there and dont look back.

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Have you seen this little beauty from Aim Surplus?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their FFL requirements seemed a bit "odd" so I emailed them with a question about it. I asked about shipment to an FFL dealer (rather than having my own FFL license) in Las Vegas and out of the 2 gun shops I referenced, they had one of them on file.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I gave up on these guns after much research and speaking with many who have either owned or shot them. They are not moa guns, and hence have no place in my arsenal for that kind of money. They are the coolest looking gun I have seen however and I would like to own one just for it's looks - but I'm not pating $750 for looks.

16. maksim

maksim New Member

not to bring this back from the dead... but...
    a romak for $700 is not an original russian dragunov. vastly different. check out dragunov.net

Original Dragunovs, the short Tigr, or the chinese ndm-85 or 86 are close to 3k and will shoot moa.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I've wondered if there was an aftermarket barrel available that was thicker than the one that comes on the rifle. I have read that this was part of the accuracy problem.

18. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member