Dragunov≠Kalashnikov;Kalashnikov≠Dragunov.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Mark_Van_Goth, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Why some people don't realize that the Dragunov is not a member of the AK rifle family and keep saying that it is the sniper version of the AK?

Why some people says that rifles like Zastava m76 are the last version/member of the Dragunov rifle family?

The most funny thing is that these guys consider themeselves as gun experts.

FACTS
    1)Kalashnikov and its design doesn't have anything to do with dragunov, except for the external look of the gun(very similar to the ak) and maybe the bolt and safety.
    -The dragunov has a on-field removable trigger group
    -The drag uses a short-stroke mechanism
    -the bolt carrier is different

-Rifles like the M76 are kalashnikov, since it shares 99+% of the Kalashnikov design!!!It's doesn't have anything to do with the dragunov, they only share the design concept.

Is it really so difficult to pick these rifles, dissasemble them and get to the right conclusion?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It would be for me. Just saying.....some of us are still learning.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There's a lot of confusion.

Really?

On it's WORST DAY EVER, a Simonovski (SKS) could not

be an AKM.

The Molot VEPRS are Russian made, and generally follow

the AK design, but the average AKM can't even fart in

the general direction of VEPR overall quality.

So I hear ya...

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Part of the confusion comes from companies marketing the PSL as the "Yugoslav Dragunov". Though it is really an enlarged AK. Combine that witht the short period of time that Dragunovs were imported, and people get confused. They will see a PSL with it's long barrel, and skelotonized stock, scope, and 7.62x54R chambering and just go along with the marketing as a Dragunov.

PSL and Dragunov silhouettes are a bit more similar. PSL and AK internals are more similar to each other than PSL and Dragunov internals.

Finding a real Dragunov, or even one of the Chinese Tiger versions of the Dragunov can be a bit difficult and when they are found they are a lot more expensive. So, folks will settle for a PSL, and beef up their own ego by refering to it as "basically the same as a Dragunov". Then the myth and confusion grow.

The PSL is not a bad rifle, it was designed to be more of a squad marksmans rifle, giving optics, reach, and barrier penetration advantages at the squad level. But, it was never intended to be a true sniper rifle, and it is not a Dragunov.

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This hits it on the head. Marketing people throw the Dragunov name onto any similar looking rifle because they believe it will increase interest and allow them to charge more. Anyone doing this should be sued for fraud. As an owner of a PSL, I can attest to the fact that it's a long-action AK and there is no similarity to a Dragunov except caliber. While the PSL feels better fitted than a clone AK and fires the 7.62X54 round extremely accurately, it would take a lot of gunsmithing to get MOA groups at range, something a Dragunov does out of the box.

6. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

You're damn right!!!Do you know what it really make me angry?When I read and article on a damn gun magazine where they talk about an AK and a SKS or a vz58 is displayed in the pictures and called "Kalashnikov" in the picture's description!
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!?!?ON A GUN MAGAZINE?!

7. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Right, but this is not the only case

Last time I watched a video on youtube where an Italian gun seller(who defined himself as an expert) was showing a Zastava M76.In the video he said that he M76 is the last version of the Dragunov(????????).In the same video he disassembled a Dragunov and the M76 and guess what?The idiot kept saying the M76 is a Dragunov family member.I wrote a long comment where I explicitly asked if he's an idiot or what.

Who the hell can newbie learn, if he so called experienced shooters talk *hit?

8. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Misleading Fraud

mIS
    The should be a law that prosecute these kind of things with passing through a trial.

PSL≠Dragunov≠Tabuk≠Zastava M76

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You have to do research. Research written by experts in the field, or peer reviewed sources. YouTube is a social site where any idiot with an opinion and a video phone can vomit his opinion onto the public. FaceBook, MySpace and Twitter are not "expert" sources. Wikipedia is not a vetted source, just a different kind of social site, unless using the "Cited" sources at the bottom and they can be validated. Since the quality of writers has dropped precipitously in recent years, magazines and newspapers are no longer credible sources. You need to find someone with accurate data that has researched the subject extensively. Libraries and book stores generally stock huge volumes (500+ pages) that have data and history, but you have to buy or rent the book and actually READ it! The difference being that you yourself will become so well-versed on the subject that others will consider you an expert!

Remember the Internet Credibility Rule: if its on the Internet, it's NOT credible!

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

You get a kid that was raised on call of duty that has money to blow or what ever and they want to buy a gun, and hell most gamers love being "snipers" so they see this gun that they've shot thousands of rounds through (in game) and they see the name Dragunov and they just mess there pants over it and they'll spend the money on it same with AR's AK's and hell anything that possibly could be in the video games they've played. The reason they fork out a crap load of money on a not dragunov is simply because they don't know any better.

The same reason why people run around calling AKM's AK47's just because usually they don't know any better, I'm not going to lie it erks the hell out of me when people call my AKM an AK47. I understand where your coming from but most people don't care to take the time to actually learn about things like this they just see a gun watch a youtube video then buy it or not.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I get a chuckle from the media, when they call a glock an AK47,

then call the mag a clip.

12. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Nice Opinion....but people are lazy

People are really lazy...maybe to lazy to take some time and learn everything they need to know about the weapon they are using.Frankly speaking...I am not no a big fan of literature and books...I do prefer to learn things directly on the field- by keeping my mouth shut and listening to someone who know MUCH MORE THAN ME-better if he has used it in service/on the field(I usually buy military rifles only)!!!!I have paid particular attention each time I handled a new/unknown rifle, I've learn to use the rifle by listening to the vets, shooting, stripping the rifle thousands of times and well...even by reading some books.

A firearms can be a great thing, if you know what you're using and use it properly.

13. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Hahahahahhaahahah that really creepy!!!!

...true, creepy and sad.I don't understand these people.If you don't know the stuff you're talking about, it would be better to keep your mouth shut!

"Does anybody know where can I buy some SHELLS for my M16?My QUICKLOADER is empty, I need to some shells asap.Even some help for a couple of stripper clips for my glock and an en-bloc clip for my revolver would be appreciated.":D

14. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

I hate such people!!!!

I would kill a person that calls AK47 any AK pattern rifle!The AK 47 was produces since 1949 till 1959, everyhing else is an AKM or a derivative of it!!!!!These people shot try to shoot both guns to understarnd the difference!!!

15. COLDdeadFINGERS

COLDdeadFINGERS New Member

That's a stupid comment. Kill a person? Dumbass!!!!!!!!! Lol

16. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

....It's pretty obvious that I mean it metaphorically

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So fill me in completely then on the Dragunov. Heres some on GBer . What is what ?
    Now saying this I dont have a AK, I have a AK variant .I guess its a WASR10/63 .
    I see Dragunov type rifles so whats what ? Would like to have one in my collection but I dont want some inaccurate POS either because I do shoot all my stuff
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=dragunov

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  18. COLDdeadFINGERS

COLDdeadFINGERS New Member

I can honestly say in all my life that I've never said I'll kill anyone for saying anything. If my family was having their life threatened then sure I would protect them or myself. I would even help my fellow human brother or sister. But ........ That was awkward to say the least

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

The OP is just too sensitive. Lighten up and Use a KLEENEX (or more exactly a Scott Facial Tissue)

Everything is an AK or a GLOCK.

[​IMG]