Dragonov

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by salty2000, Feb 6, 2013.

1. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

How do you tell the difference between a real and fake dragonov rifle and what makes souls I look for?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Most "Dragunovs" are actually Romanian PSLs, they are good rifles but aren't SVDs, they are totally different.

Actual SVDs are few and far between, and command a premium, I would suggest either the PSL route or a New VEPR. Ironwood designs makes a Dragunov style stock set for them, it will be released sometime this year.

Here's a link.
    http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDVEPRSVD.html

Attached Files:

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Holy crap I want one.

4. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Do they make build kits, they look awesome!!!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you can find a well built psl (rare) the accuracy is the same as the svd dragunov. the problem with both rifles the svd and psl is that after 1 or 2 shots any subsequent shots you might as well try hitting a 300 yard target using 12ga 00buck wearing a blindfold.

the barrels of both are so long and thin they heat up stupid quick and whip around like a willow switch.

that being said the psl is amazingly fun to shoot.

its common for folks to have psls cut down to 18-20 inches which greatly improves its ability to disapate heat and removes most of the barrel whip. the psl and dragunov arent sniper rifles they are designated marksmen rifles. the soviets dont think of sniping the same way we do.

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

JonM is right I can get one good cold shot out of my PSL & hit the small gong at 400yds.
    But any shots after that without letting it cool down will run a string to the right & there is no way I can get it to stop.
    It is a good one shot and run gun, but that is what it was designed to do as a designated marksman rifle (DMR)
    That is better than an assault rifle or battle rifle, but not as good as a sniper rifle.

7. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Kool thanks for the info. All of it was very useful. I picked one up and it's clean. What a beast this thing looks sweet

8. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Pics or it didn't happen! :p

9. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Here they are

Attached Files:

10. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Very nice PSL :cool:

11. sputnik1988

Just a tip, a barrel attached bipod will throw off your poi, nice rifle BTW.

12. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Yea I am going to pull the bipod off of the barrel. That's the way they had it set up.

13. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Any suggestions on where to mount it would be appreciated or even a brand name of a new one

14. sputnik1988

A lot of bipods attach to sling swivels, but you don't have any. A set of sandbags may be a good investment.

You could attach a swivel to the handguard, but not without drilling a hole, which i wouldnt recommend.

15. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Hey thank for all the help. I checked out the link you sent me about the stocks those are nice. I just might get one of those.

16. sputnik1988

Those are for the VEPR, they don't have them for the PSL

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can attach one to the bayonet lug if it hasnt been shaved off. Most are shaved. The stock is the other option. Attaching a clamp on to the gas block wont affect poi much if at all.

If you do drill the stock (not recommended) its probably going to split or crack after a little use. The wood on the psl isnt very tough. I would suggest getting a plastic aftermarket stock set if you want to attach stuff to it.

18. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Yea my lug has been shaved off. Why would they so such a thing and as far as drilling a hole... Not gonna do that I did notice that the wood is rather weak. Looks like its sand bags at the range or finding an after market polymer stock set.

19. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Yea after I posted that comment I looked in to the site a little deeper

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Most PSL's are essentially AK-47's on steroids with reinforcing plates at the end of the receiver to keep from cracking during receiver bend under recoil of the 7.62x54 Rimmed cartridge. While the PSL has a bent metal style receiver the Dragunov is primarily a milled receiver.

The PSL is a long stroke gas piston system like that of the AK family, the Dragunov uses a short stroke gas piston system. Supposedly Dragunov thought this would reduce the recoil impulse on the shooter. The trigger group of the Dragunov is, from my understanding, different from the AK style of trigger group since it helps with getting a better trigger pull. Both semi-auto and select fire AK trigger groups don’t easily do as well with getting a nice crisp light pull weight.

The key things to look for when on the look out for a true Dragunov or perhaps a Polish SVD (direct copy of the Russian Dragunov) are the bent safety selector, vertically halved fore-end, a gap between the trigger and magazine release lever and lack of reinforcing plates at the end of the receiver.