Drago 2 rifle bag used for B.O.B

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by BigBizz87, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I bought this bag from a friend for only $40 he never even used it.

http://www.dragogear.com/products/tactical-rifle-cases/36-double-gun-case.html

It seems very rugged, but I only bought it to turn it into a B.O.B.

I was successful. I managed to put everything I would need to survive for about 1-2 weeks with only necessities and a rifle for defense
    5-Sets of clothing
    1-Fire starter
    1-Compass
    1-Small medkit
    1-Small gun cleaning kit
    1-Survival 6 in fixed blade knife
    1-2 person tent
    2-Emergency blankets
    1-Portable water filtration device
    Enough food for a little over a week,
    My Rifle and 250 rounds

Any necessity I seem to be missing?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

A camp hatched, most underated tool you'll ever carry. Will cut you firewood, build your shelter and possibly save your life when the ammo runs out....

I'd also add a crank radio, nice to have a little news from the outside world when your hiding out.;)

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Potted meat and crackers.

I think he means hatchet. ^^^

4. dwmiller

yes, typing on a phone with autocorrect/f^&()*(p. :eek:

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

What u need 5 outfits for? Planning on going on a date?

6. hoovco

hoovco New Member

2 weeks in the field can make a shirt stand up on it's own. lol.

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, that's why all the clothing is camouflage - it hides the stains! :rolleyes: Drag yourself through a river once a week and you not only wash your clothes but bathe, too! :eek: No good woodsman needs a change of clothes!

Seriously, I have to second the hatchet idea. While it doesn't have to be huge, a dedicated chopping tool makes fire and shelter building go much quicker and with less effort (Read: Less calories burned and less food needed to refuel). You may also want a whistle or mirror for signalling - wasting ammo is not acceptable for noise-making in a SHTF scenario.

Also remember that most experts say pants in a BOB should not be denim. Rip stop wool blends are rugged, insulatory, but take only a few hours to dry. denim can take days to dry in the sun. Consider also Fire Hose Jeans if doing a lot of heavy duty backwoods work.

One way to do limited wardrobe is to have less of the heavy duty clothing and more of the stuff that is thinner and likely to wear out. For example:

2 pairs of pants
    3 shirts
    4 underwear
    6 pairs of socks
    2 pairs broken-in hiking boots (NEVER :( use new!)
    2 belts/suspenders
    Windbreaker/Waterproof jacket
    (One of each item is worn)

This is about half the size that most people carry, but it allows for changes, layering for cold, daily changes of socks (very important when travelling on your feet), extra belt for tourniquet, strapping, holding windbreaker down during storm, etc and even a spare set of boots. Since BOB is only to get you to your next cache, this wardrobe is perfect for a week or even two getting to your next stop.

When loading a BOB, remember the old adage, "Ounces are pounds, pounds are pain." EVERY piece must be evaluated and if an ounce can be lost without sacrificing survivability, it goes. Do you need a box of 500 matches to make a dozen fires? Even if planning for Murphy and his Laws to accompany you, 50 matches would suffice two weeks. Flint and steel would be better, adding maybe 10 NATO lifeboat matches for dire emergencies (injured, pouring rain, need fire immediately for signalling, etc.).

8. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I live in new England the weather here can completely change in a matter of an hour.

Can be sunny and 70° then only 20 mins later pouring rain and 40°.

That's why I have 5 outfits to layer in cold weather or change clothes after getting drenched plus our winter is 7-8 months of the year gotta be prepared for my environment.

1 set of cloths and ill be dead in a matter of days won't make it to my destination without extra clothing.

But on a serious note u never know when u might meet a nice women while bugging out gotta look good for the ladies! :D

9. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Knew I was forgetting something important just added my hatchet to the bag crank radio is next on that list.

Thanks for the help I was up on the late night putting it together so I wasn't at peak performance lol.

10. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

It was a joke.... Easy fellas...... Hands where I can see em.

11. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Anyone storing "PowerBars" as a simple yet well rounded food for a B.O.B.???

I can get whole boxes for round $10 which is pretty cheap and they have pretty good nutritional value aswell, but not to sure on there shelf life.

12. dwmiller

Powerbars work well but have a 1 year shelf life. I think I would suppliment them with some type of sealed packet jerky and some type of dried fruits. Just remember to rotate these items. No food poisoning please! ;)

For my truck (otr trucker) I normally keep about 2 weeks of stable foods. You never know when you are going to be broken down somewhere with no restaurant. Carry weight is not a problem for me so I use canned goods for about 80% of my stocks. Gives me a little more variety. Toaster pastries are a nice, high calorie snack with a low carry weight. Most are now sealed in Mylar wraps as an added bonus. Nice if kids are part of the bugout.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  13. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I'm planning to rotate out B.O.B. food every 6 months or so

So with a 1 year shelf life I can live with PowerBars I eat them already anyway just keep some extra in my B.O.B.

I do stock jerky and will be getting some dried fruit aswell per ur advice gotta have variety thanks for the help.

14. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Recently I have made a few Med kits from dollar store items, only cost me $7 and got all the same supplies a $30 pre assembled Med kit would have plus more quantity off each item and some extras.

No they are not perfect kits but they are well rounded for general injuries such as cuts, scrapes, sprains, they would work well for those situations, but no they wont help much if someone required field surgery.

100 Plastic band-aids
    50 Sterile pads 3x3
    1 roll Medical tape
    50 Alcohol swabs
    1 Tube triple antibiotic
    1 ankle wrap
    1 50ct bottle ibuprofen

Not a bad little kit simple yet useful. IMHO

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  15. Wolf57

Wolf57 New Member

I bought a Voodoo Tactical drag bag. It has large pockets, hand carry straps, a shoulder strap and back pack straps . It will hold 2 rifles and 2 pistols w/ plenty of room for accessories and ammo. . It could easily be a bug out bag . It is not without limit and there are other bags that would work better as a BOB. In a pinch, I could pack a rifle, pistol, knife and what I would need for a limited time in the field. Not my first choice for a BOB, but it is my first choice for a drag bag.

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not a bad setup with the additions listed in the posts on this thread, but I don't think that a rifle case would be the best option if the SHTF. A rifle case would draw a lot of attention, posiblly from the wrong folks. i would go with a large back pack, such as an Alice Pack myself, and keep the rifle seperrate. After all, i would most likely be in your hands at that point. JMO, YMMV.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't see spare socks or spare shoes/boots. You should pack at least three pairs of socks per day and have a back-up pair of shoes/boots. Dump some clothes and add in the footwear.

I don't see a handgun.

I don't see any pots, pans, or water storage containers.

I don't see an ax or hatchet.

I don't see toilet paper.

I don't see handy wipes.

I don't see any kind of light

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I have since added to the bag.

I have 2 pairs of socks per day in the bag and a second set of footwear.

I have a few empty bottles for water storage gotta get pots and pans tho.

I have a holster for my pistol so ill be carrying it on my hip.

Added a hatchet to the bag.

Added 2 bottles of hand Sanitizer.

Added a mini mag lite.

But I do not have TP in the bag.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm as serious as I can be, put in some HandiWipes or baby wipes. Go to the travel section of your local drug store and pick up a pack or two. When the Klingons cause a rawness from leaving debris rings around Uranus, you are not going to want to clean up with hand sanitizer. There is a lot of alcohol in that stuff, and it will light you up. If it's too cold to bathe the wipes can be used.