Draft Questions

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by AFerree, Oct 12, 2013.

1. AFerree

AFerree New Member

I recently hit my 18th birthday and have learned that I need to sign into the draft. Is it still the law of the land to sign (I have no opposition to singing it) and how will I get the papers? I know you can do so online but will I get it in the mail? Is been a while sense the 27th (the b-day) and I'm starting to get concerned.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It's actually called selective service.

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

You can do it online, but it looks like the system will be down until the government shutdown is over. It's part of the draft, but the chances of you actually getting drafted now are very slim. It would most likely take the US getting into an all out war for that to happen. As it is now, our military is made up of volunteers.

And yes, you are legally required to sign up for it. You must do it between the ages of 18 and 25.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I signed up at the post office.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Yes, you must sign up. Go to the nearest post office. They should be able to help you. Don't wait for the website.

5. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

OP, sign up my friend, at least you'll get a free razor in the mail ;-) Gillette still does that don't they????

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That's where I did it. The Pony Express guys took it straight off too!

7. MisterMcCool

I did get a free razor. :)

8. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

On my 19th birthday I got a letter from the government telling me that if I didn't sign up for Selective Service they would send me to prison. I didn't register when I was 18 because they wouldn't take me when I tried to go in after high school. I figured, if they won't take now, they certainly won't take me later. I eventually went to the Post Office and filled out the card.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if so then they still owe me a razor!:eek:

you can sign up at any post office. just go to the window and ask for a form to sign up for the selective service. it takes about five minutes to fill it out and hand back to the person at the window.

it's the law, plus if you don't, you're not eligible for any type of federal grants you might apply for.

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I signed up when I turned 18 and got a new license at the DPS. At least that is where I thin I signed up. Doesn't matter now since they already got me by contract.

So that is where that razor and shaving gel came from when I turned 18. I always wondered how Gillette knew I just turned 18. Just kind if figured it was the NSA. ;)

Sorry Axxe, they probably weren't doing that promotion back when you signed up.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't remember my two sons getting any razor in the mail when they registered with the Selective Service. :mad:

12. opaww

opaww New Member

I dodged the draft and never signed up for it. That makes me a draft dodger

13. MisterMcCool

Won't hurt your political aspirations. You could become commander in chief.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Never got a razor but registered the day after my birthday when I also registered to vote. It doesn't mean you will be drafted, it doesn't even mean you will meet the standards to be accepted if you volunteered. It just gets you registered into the system and allows you to state which branch you would prefer to serve in in the event if a draft.

15. Axxe55

now that would be something interesting to find out, if Obama signed up for the selective service!:p

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Same here, and i'm fairly certain I signed up two times.

17. Axxe55

split personalities?:eek:

18. MisterMcCool

Did you get two razors?

19. orangello

orangello New Member

I drank quite a bit around that time and wasn't sure if I had registered the first time or just attempted it. :rolleyes:

20. Axxe55

classic 'Gello! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!:D