Dr. speaks about gunshot wounds

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SSGN_Doc, Aug 11, 2012.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pretty good video (poor quality but good content) of an Dr. giving a lecture on gunshot wounds from the operating room perspective. He shares some interesting statistics that could open some eyes to how weak handguns can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA&feature=youtu.be

Caution: The video has some graphic sections.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

That was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing!

3. SSGN_Doc

I was impressed at his delivery of the info. I hadn't heard the statistic about skin resistance being equal to about 4 inches of muscle before. It would explain a lot and give credence to the FBI minimum penetration requirements of 12-18" for their ammo.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

xtremely interesting.

the topic he is speaking on is why i carry 45acp whenever possible. i use 230grain HP because its got enough weight and speed to get to the important parts and start the bleeding. the bigger the hole the faster the lek and the better chance i have to survive a violent encounter with a goblin.

5. SSGN_Doc

I apreciated his remark that it's good that most people who get shot, get shot with handguns. If more people got shot with rifles and shotguns the surgeons would have less to do.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Seems to solidify my stance that 9mm is borderline (fmj/jhp) anything bigger should be jhp and anything smaller fmj.
    I can say it changed my mind on wanting frangible rounds for my 10mm, hollows should be fine.
    Amazed the sternum stopped a hollow point.
    Very interesting

7. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

All I know is that being the victim of a violent shooting before. I DEFIANTLY KNOW THAT I DO NOT WANT TO BE SHOT WITH ANYTHING ANYMORE.

8. SSGN_Doc

Amen. I don't like getting hit with BBs.

9. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Still.. anything is possible. RIP Trayvon Martin, killed with a single 9mm shot. Some people walk away from horrific car wrecks, some die in much less severe ones. Either way, with practice and shot placement, and enough rounds, the BG will think twice. Enough rounds meaning more than 1, I know the guy on the vid was hit twice, but if a crackhead or any intruder wants in my house where my daughter sleeps their hitting the ground after 1 or 15 shots, thats up to them :)

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

SSGN_Doc, i used to work for an anesthesiology group and I really appreciated this video! Getting true facts and accurate data from the people that patch up the victims is much better than arguing what we *think* might happen in a shooting. This also enforces the axiom, "A handgun is only useful to fight your way to a shotgun or rifle.".

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I use a .45 in the hopes the BG will be hurt more by the

bullet, than I am by the recoil...

12. Yup.

That whole lecture re emphasizes the important of good hits.

13. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Yep, shot placement and multiple shots. If your crackhead @ss wants to break into my home, lead is FLYING!

14. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

Seeing what that .40 S&W JHP did and the talk about blood loss being the mechanism by which most GSW's acheive their effects,makes me think about switching to hardball.You'll more likely get 2 holes to bleed from,and you wont risk that failure to penetrate.

I know that JHP is designed to make a bigger hole and effect more tissue,but it's really starting to seem to me to be very erratic and even unpredictable in performance,even the modern designs.

I believe that your handgun is only as good as you are with it- in other words you need to make good placement no matter what it is,but even with good placement if your using JHP it might do what was seen here,with the most famous example of a JHP coming up short being the 1986 FBI shootout where a 9mm slug failed to penetrate an extra inch or so to reach the heart of one of the participants who was still able fight after being hit like that.
    I'd bet a round of nato ball would have went right thru.

And before people poo-poo 9x19,remember that the bullet in this video that stopped short was a .40.

I'm starting to think that the relative consistency of ball compared to the erratic performance of JHP,and coupled with good placement might be the best way to go.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It stressed the need for good penetration more than it stressed the need for hitting the K5 areas. Look at the film of the .40 S&W that barely penetrated lung tissue. Shot placement is 3 dimensional, and getting it deep enough is the important one.

We had a disgruntled ex-employee in Orlando not long ago shot "multiple times in the chest" by what appears to be a gruntled* employee protecting his job and his customers. The assailant was still up and attempting to run when he got creamed by a car. If he can run, he can shoot, and that is officially a bad thing.

A similar thing happened in that Ocala internet cafe shooting video that is linked to in this forum. Did the assailants leave? Yes they did. After running out of the store with bullet holes in them they both made it to the hospital under their own power.

*I know, but I always wanted to use it after hearing the George Carlin routine.

16. KalashnikovJosh

Handguns are not magic ray guns.
    Attempting to make them into such with magic bullets and caliber worship doesn't change the fact that they throw a relatively small chunk of lead at a relatively moderate speed with relativity moderate force into a comparatively large mass of tissue and unless they hit something vital,they will not force someone to go down.

I'm really beginning to think the expensive boutique boxes of 20 rounds of "premium" ammo is just mere profiteering.Even with the most advanced computer designed JHP,it seems like these projectiles do very erratic things in real fights that in no way conform to how they perform in gel tests and such.But ball does the same thing over and over with pretty much consistent results.

If I punch a hole in any of the major arteries of the chest of a guy determined to kill me with a round of ball 9x19,it's gonna be better for me then if I hit him with a .45 JHP "premium" round that stops short for whatever reason.
    Alternatively,a hole punched in the same artery in the same place by a fully expanded projectile will likely do the same thing if the projectile was ball.Sure,the hole might be a little bigger,but seriously,its still a hole in a major artery.

Am I making any sense here or am I way off base?

17. -_-

-_- New Member

worth watching!

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner. Because tissue densities vary to such a large degree, there is no way you can look at a gel test to determine what a projectile will do in the real world.

That would have been a better comparison if you had used projectiles of somewhat similar weight. A 9x19 ball in the aorta beats the daylights out of a 9x19 JHP that never made it past the sternum... or in too many cases the zipper on a winter coat. To be fair about it, if you assume equal penetration of equal caliber rounds, the expanded JHP beats ball ammo. The problem is that you won't get equal penetration.

There is another major advantage of ball ammo over expanding projectiles. In most auto-loaders there is a higher degree of reliability with ball ammo. Another advantage, but not a major one, is that given an equal caliber, ball is often heavier. Heavier is officially a good thing unless you are going for distance.

19. KalashnikovJosh

Ok heres a conversation I've been wanting to have for maybe a decade.:)

A question- does 9mm ball tend to give consistent,deep straight line penetration?

And in what configuration?

Is the 115gr range fodder adequate,or is it best to stick to something like 124gr NATO or maybe even 147gr?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

No, if you're talking about bio-targets, but it will be much more consistent than a JHP. It all depends on how you define consistent. Even in gel targets rounds from the same lot will have different paths and penetration depths.

My personal thought is within reason the heavier, the better. It's called inertia. The heavier it is the more difficult it is to deflect an object in motion from a straight line. I also think there is a bit less quality control in range ammo, and if my life may depend on it I want quality... lots of quality.