Dpms?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Sep 8, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Looking to get my wife her first Rifle...she's more for aesthetics...i'm trying to teach her the ways in function over form...but it's going to be a long battle.

So far, she hasn't seen a Colt she likes yet... *shaking my head*

She's come across a few she likes, and some of them are DPMS. I have no experience with that company...anyone have any feedback to offer?

They seem "Cheaper" than most...not necessarily a bad thing, just sets off my skepticism a bit.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Cheap is a good word for it.

I got a dpms for my wife to get her started. She picked it out because it looked fun... A basic panther m4. Not a great rifle or even a good one. Functional for range use is a good way to look at it. About 2 years later i got her a bcm midlength lightweight and she expressed a desire for a season pass at the range.

I dont know your money situation but any rifle she likes will get her shooting and you can use that as an excuse to get another one later.

3. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I'm trying to keep it $1,000 or less...

The thing is, she goes shooting all the time with me...but as she put it, while stomping her foot on the ground "This is MY RIFLE, there will be none like it and this will be MINE!!!"

She's all about how it looks and cares nothing for function...she keeps proclaiming she'll get it duracoated pink (I think i created a monster with her Christmas present Glock....sigh)

i'll check out the BCM ...

so far she's liking a stainless barrel...she's IN LOVE with this one specifically

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...emi-Automatic+223+Remington5.56+NATO+30+1+Cap

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

DPMS has continued to improve their product line or at least offer improved models that feature some of the options that AR owners want. Like chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, etc. they actually make some very nice stainless match barrels that are cryo treated and stress relieved. I have seen one of their service rifle uppers with one of these barrels shoot a 6 inch group at 500 yards when I was marking targets in the pits. I asked the shooter on my lane what he was using and he told me it was a Dpms upper with White Oak sights but that the sights were the only upgrade he had done. So I can attest to their ability to build an accurate rifle.

If your wife isn't going to put her AR through hard use the DPMS should be a fine foundation to build on. If you want to get her into shooting for the long haul, you are better off letting her get what she wants.

I built an AR for my wife exactly the way she wanted. Then she didn't really like the stock she had first picked. But we found one she likes better and it is all good now. It let her see why I end up replacing items in an AR until I get it just the way I want it. Hers is built on Stag lower and upper receivers be ause she liked the deer on the side of the lower. I asked her if she wanted a custom color and she said she thought they just looked best in black.

Enjoy the project with your wife. It really will let her feel included if you let her make the decisions on her gun. But do explain what her options are and what the advantages or disadvantages can be of one choice over another. Then let her pick.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Letting her get what she wants is best way to do it. She can always accessorize later by swapping parts around

6. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Good points guys thank you both. As long as DPMS isn't going to fall apart on us... I feel comfortable letting her start there

7. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

For the price, DPMS is a fine rifle with good quality. Mine is accurate and 100% reliable and my cousin has one also. If you plan on shooting a few hundred rounds per month is will last a long time. If you plan on shooting thousands of rounds per month you may want to upgrade in price/quality.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

it works fine for range use. just dont expect it to be a BCM or Colt or something and you wont be disappointed. if you really want that added reliability swap out the BCG add a good gieselle two stage and replace the commercial buffer tube with a milspec when she decides on a better stock. unless she has really long arms the standard A2 stock as in the picture is a little long for most women to get a decent length of pull without being in a bad firing position. most women do better with an adjustable stock. if she wants the A2 stock thats fine. just upgrade her later to a carbine tube and adjustable when she figures it out.

tghe original parts from our panther M4 are sitting in the safe as backup spares.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Why spend up to $1K on a DPMS when there are so many better brands out there in that price range. PSA for one. In fact they just had a nice Labor Day sale but I guess it's over now. I would be very annoyed knowing I spent 1K on a DPMS unless it was .308.

10. Rarity

Rarity New Member

11. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Not saying i'd spend $1000 on a DPMS, just saying $1,000 on a rifle...and my wife loves the look of a certain one that happens to be a DPMS

we're not talking about someone who wants a quality rifle, we're talking about someone who wants something that "looks pretty" :rolleyes:

BIG difference

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

any chance of helping her build her own? :D

I'd go with a STAG, BCM, Spikes, even a few others before a DPMS for an AR15 ;)

13. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Age old debate; What is better, Ford or Chevvy? Depends on who you ask. DPMS makes a fine rifle, as do many others. All AR's are basically built to military specs and it all boils down to quality control.

My custom AR is a "Frankenrifle" made of many parts from many makers, but the barrel is DPMS Match, and I have never fired a bad shot from that rifle.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

All ARs are NOT built to military specs, many fall well short but it may not matter depending on the application. Each of us has to decide low low you will go.

15. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

I recently had some issues with my DPMS (see other thread) and I'll say if it's a range rifle they are great, I have a lot of fun with mine. But if your looking for something more than say 2 or 3 hundred rounds a month I would suggest a little higher price range. But again for a starter range gun I vote DPMS.

16. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Dpms is a great starter rifle.

Don't let the snobs tell you otherwise

Plus you can paint then purrty

image-1481325291.jpg

17. billt

billt New Member

If you have $1,000.00 to spend, you can get a DPMS and have enough left over to make a big dent in a scope or other form of optical sight you may want to mount on it. Don't be unnecessarily concerned. She won't wear out a DPMS, but she'll have a hell of a good time trying.

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Keeping peace in the household carries a lot of weight. As long as she doesn't look at a vulcan/blackthorne/whatever, whatever makes the better half happy is worth a grand. Put flowers on it, paint it pink, whatever it takes.:p

19. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Already did that :( :( :(

If she paints the AR pink, though...it's on... :D

Attached Files:

• pink.jpg
      pink.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  20. billt

billt New Member

A DPMS will provide for both your needs and hers just fine. She will be shooting it at the same place everyone shoots their AR-15's....at the range, not hitting the beach in Tripoli.