DPMS sportical question..

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by The_Mapex_Killer, Jun 8, 2012.

1. The_Mapex_Killer

The_Mapex_Killer New Member

Im new to the AR world but not new to rifles.. Mostly only shot AK,sks,mausers and handguns so need a little info...

Ok I found a new DPMS Sportical for $640+tax in a local shop and of course the Guy says yea its great and what have you(but I don't listen to sell people lol).. I want real people to tell me if this is a good starting AR.. keep in mind I don't want to spend the $800+ on one at the moment but in the future I would like to upgrade so brings me to another question: would I be able to swap the upper on this rifle with a better one in the future after I get a good idea of how the rifle performs?? I mainly want to know if you can swap parts like upper and lowers on these sportical rifles like most of the other AR 15 rifles out there.. Please help and thanks for your info.. Oh and if you own one of these please inform me on how they shoot and what upgrades are necessary..thanks..

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You should be able to swap uppers on that. But first look at the S&W Sport in that price range.

3. The_Mapex_Killer

The_Mapex_Killer New Member

Ok thanks for your input and the same gun shop where I found the dpms they had the s&w m&p I think is what its called and its about $80 more but the Guy did say that both of the guns internals are pretty much the same.. is that true??

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What did he mean by the same? They may be interchangeable but I'd expect better quality in the SW. Compare them and see for yourself. I am not a fan of the Sportical.

5. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I have both the S&W and the DPMS in those models. As far as dependability I Have no ftf or fte from either rifle honestly to me the DPMS feels better to me the balance of it is quite nice. You can't go wrong with either one as far as replacing uppers I can't sAy.

image-2794780973.jpg

The top is my DPMS the bottom is my S&W

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Let me get this right, you have two ARs and haven't swapped uppers? Not even a little bit curious? Time's awastin'! :p

I have three ARs and each upper performs well on each lower. Not much talk about such things but something I bet we all do.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ya....your babies swing both ways.......

You ever watch a little girl play with her dolls? swapping out outfits n accessorizing?:rolleyes:

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Um probably a stupid question. But tikki you and Quentin seem to be able to build ar's in your sleep. So I figure I should ask yall. Is a m&p and m&p sport the same thing.

9. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Well I have 4 Ar 's and nope I haven't swapped the uppers around . I have swaped the furniture all around yea kinda like dressing a GI Joe.! yea GIjoe had uniforms you could trade out too ! lol

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

the sport is cheaper, the upper doesn't have an ejction port cover or a forward assist.

Some people say that aren't needed, but I like to have them......the cover maybe not so much, but I like having a foward assist, because I like to chamber check without wasting a round.

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I had to use the fwd assist on my m&p. Got some lacquer coated steel stuck. Could not pull the charging handle back for the life of me. And I'm no little guy. I'm 6,2" 220lbs. One good hit to the fwd assist jard it loose. Turns out after measuring and comparing with a micrometer the lacquer was to thick. Making the diminution of the casing to big.

12. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I don't think the S&W has a chrome lined barrel while the DPMS does

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I believe the S&Ws have a melonite coating which is supposed to have a slight accuracy advantage . When I say slight I mean most of us would never be able to tell unless you were shooting from a bench setup

14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I dont know my wife who couldn't hit a car door with my .22 put a hell of a group at 100 yards with my m&p.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

A buddy has a DPMS sportical; it has been accurate and reliable enough for his plinking needs. He did have a post-purchase wish that he had spent a little more and gotten a more fully dressed model.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Looking at the differences, the S&W Sport has 7075-T6 upper and lower receivers, the DPMS Sportical only the lower is 7075-T6, they cut corners on the alloy in the upper. The S&W has a melonited 1:8" barrel, DPMS non-chrome lined 1:9. Also the DPMS doesn't come with front or rear sights, the S&W comes with both. To me there's no comparison, S&W for the win.

Here's what Bud's Gun shop says about the DPMS:

"Panther 5.56 NATO Sportical has a 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 6 grooves, right hand 1X9 twist, button rifled Lite Contour with A2 flash hider (birdcage) 16" barrel, gas operated rotating bolt, and a 8620 steel bolt carrier. The upper receiver features flattop Lo-Pro Extruded. The Upper Receiver made of 6066-T6 aircraft aluminum. The Lower Receiver is made of 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum and feature semi-auto trigger group, aluminum trigger guard, and a aluminum magazine release button. The stock is DPMS Pardus Carbine Stock. The handguards are GlacierGuards oval carbine length with aluminum Delta Ring."

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well as AT said, the M&P-15 Sport doesn't have an ejection port cover or a forward assist. Also it has an integrated trigger guard and melonited 1:8" barrel while I think the regular M&P-15s use a standard trigger guard and 1:9" chrome lined barrel. At least last year's versions did.

Also I haven't built an AR in my sleep yet but I have lost sleep over builds! :D

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

It would have been better to use 6066-t6 for the lower reciever. A stiffer upper is probably a bit more important than the lower. But for all intents and purposes it probably wouldn't make much of a difference on a 16" ar anyways.

I love to get my hands on a test out one of these 1x8 twist melonited barrels. It really is a wonder why more manufacturers aren't making them this way.

19. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

smith uses melonite, glock uses tenifer, xd uses whatever they call theirs. it's all personal preference but it is the finish on the OUTSIDE of the gun. Accuracy is not affected. Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean. That is all. If they enhanced accuracy, benchrest rifles would have them...

20. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i'm no expert here, i'm an AR super newbie.

but, i think what they claim offers the accuracy advantage in the S&W sport is the 5r rifling more so then the melonite.