DPMS/Remington R-25

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Jesse17, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS, and lots mags. Now my question is how to aim it.

I'm a crack shot with open/iron sites but don't have much experience with scopes, and zero experience with Red Dots. What would you'all recommend?

I bought the gun primarily for close quarters/mid-range self defense, which tells me I want iron sites; but I also like target shooting, and would like to use the gun to it fullest potential.

I'm anxious to see your replies. Do you think I should go with iron sites or a red dot, or maybe a VERY low power scope?

I been told that any kind of optics needs to have at least 1" of height under it. Is there a set up that could use iron sites and and optic? I've done this with 10-22s, where I could see thru the factory sites or the scope, but I don't know how feasible this is in a close quarters fire fight, or on an AR style.

Any feedback is appreciated, also any feedback on this particular gun would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. bkt

bkt New Member

A .308 is pretty ballsy for short-range defense, but it should get the job done.

If you go with a red-dot sight, you can often cowitness it with the iron sights. Aimpoint and Bushnell make good, relatively inexpensive holosights.

As for a scope, you should be able to get risers that will elevate it enough that you can peek under it and still use the iron sights.

A .308 can usually really reach out to long distances. I'd probably skip the red-dot and go with a decent scope.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jesse - A .308 really isn't a close quarters weapon to be honest. Over penetration, especially in an urban environment, would be a concern.

Having said that, you have several options. If you like your iron sights, you can either set up a co-witness with a heads up like an Acog or a EoTech.

Or, you can get a set of fold down, flip up back up iron sights and get a low power scope ( 3 x 9 perhaps ) and get an ARMS quick release mount or one of these from Larue Tactical.

JD

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Over penetration isn't a concern for me. If I ever need to use it for close quarters (God forbid), I'm in a very rural area, and I can't think of a scenario where I could get to the gun that SWMBO wouldn't be behind me (if she's home at all). I went with the .308 because I'm afraid that gun thieves may be wearing Kevlar vests in the future.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go for something like a 3x9 with as large of lenses as I can afford, and I'll look into the suggestions of a fold down site as well.

PS. Dillinger, I don't know if I've said it before, but I absolutely love your signature about 'Me and my sword...'

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks Brother - I was watching Troy about the time of the big swing in the numbers last summer and it's paraphrased off of some dialogue in the movie. I did some reading on Achillies and I think he would approve of the liberty I took with it. :D

You can add it you your signature if you want. The more people that know how we feel ( that the Presidency is worth protecting, but not serving the man ) the better I think. We aren't for anarchy - we want a leader that we can respect and follow....

JD

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Thank you, I believe I will add it. I have to admit, I've already used it in some emails since I first saw you use it.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - That's going to cost you a nickel per use under the "Posted Ahead of You" in the Forum Court.... ;)

JD

8. J33Nelson

J33Nelson New Member

"Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS,"

I am not sure about that statement. The Remington R-25 is exactly the same as Bushmaster since they are owned by the same parent company. I don't think it has anything to do with DPMS.

9. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Well, the gun shop told me it was made by DPMS, and Remington refers you to DPMS when you call about mags.

After I read your post, I did a couple quick searches for "DPMS Remington R-25" from glancing at the results, it looks like the R-15 is made by Bushmaster, and the R-25 is made by DPMS.

Most of the results were from forums like this, so I still haven't seen in black and white where Remington or DPMS has made the claim. But, it's tending to look like it's indeed made by DPMS.

10. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

I just bought the R25 also and was wondering what would be a good scope for the .308, I am new to rifles. I have always been into archery and handguns.
    Also, Jesse17 did the mags from DPMS work on this rifle? I have been having trouble finding mags for this.

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

The mags work perfect. The gun after all is made by DPMS. They said when I ordered the mags that they were back ordered 210 days, but it only took about 120 days to get them.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Both the R-15 and the R-25 are made by DPMS, not Bushmaster. The parent company (Cerberus) owns other firearms manufacturers also. The mags can be ordered by DPMS, but you can get them cheaper from Sportsman's Guide and even Brownells. They are the same mags that the Knight SR-25 uses as well. If you put a scope on, be sure to get "high" scope rings or you won't be able to cock the rifle since the ocular will be too close to the cocking handle. DPMS sells a carry handle w/A-2 sights which is specifically made for the .308. this can be used to mount a scope with the see-thru handle-mount scope adapter commonly sold for AR's. UTG makes a cheap front/rear sight combo for about $50 that is quality-made and works well. A good scope is a plus for that rifle since you will no doubt find out quickly that shooting it at under 100 yds is a waste of ammo since you are not utilizing the excellent ballistics capabilities of the .308. WalMart sells the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x for $149 and the cheaper Leupold Rifleman scopes for $199. Personally I have a 6-24x scope on my LR308 and it negates the use of a spotting scope.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  13. BwanaD

BwanaD New Member

Scope

I would recomend something in the range of a 1.5 to 6 variable power scope for your R-25 or any close range to mid range rifle. I have this type of scope on many rifles ranging from my Remington Blackpowder rifle to my .375 H&H magnum bolt action rifle, with several other calibers in between. At 1.5 power the scope is quicker than open sights for a charging cape buffalo at 15 yards and I have made one shot kills at 285 yards with the blackpowder rifle and out to 600 yards with modern center fire rifles with the scope set at 6 power.

The key is to always carry the rifle with the scope set at 1.5 power so you can react quickly to a close target, as you normally have time to turn the power up on targets that are further away. (This principal is true for all variable power scopes; Always carry your rifle with the scope set at the lowest power so you can react to a threat or opportunity at close range.)

14. BwanaD

BwanaD New Member

Remington and DPMS

Cerberus Capital Management LP owns Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, Cobb Manufacturing and Marling Firearms under an umbrella entity named Freedom Group.

They are one of the largest private equity investment firms in the country and have many other sizable investments in automotive, sportswear, paper products, military services, real estate, energy, retail, glassmaking, transportation, and building products. In 2006, its holdings amounted to $24 billion.

So based on this information, I would not be surprised if DPMS made the R-25 and Bushmaster made the R-15.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

JD, like Jesse I've always meant to tell you what a good signature that is. A shame it's hard to find men like our founding fathers to fill the office today. Today it's as bad as it's ever got. Worse

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice thread! Howzabout an update since August of '09?
    :D

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I have a DPMS LR308AP4 use it for whitetail hunting and a truck rifle,I installed a Burris 2-6 power scope that has a illuminated reticle and have been very happy with my decision. I have an eotech I was going to install on the LR308AP4,well turkey season was about to begin??? The eotech has been on my turkey shotgun ever since.If I wasn't going with a traditional fixed power scope or a small variable scope,I would take a hard look at a eotech for close quarter shooting jmo

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jesse

Just a couple of thoughts. You may also want to look at the 30mm Tube Scopes before you buy! They are my preference due to the light and clarity. As far as mounting a scope use caution not to mount it too high. You will not be able to get a comfortable and accurate cheek weld on the stock and will be Goose Necking to see through the scope. Accuracy will suffer as a result. Those shooting the (M-14) M1-A Style rifles also experience this due to the stock and receiver relationship. So they must use a riser on the stock (Cheek Pad) is needed. Same with the AR if the scope is mounted too high. If you are going to Scope it. They have extensions for the Charging Handle to eliminate the problem with the scope being mounted close to the receiver so it can be properly mounted. I would recommend a scope mount with rings and as Dillinger and some have mentioned quick release mount or rings.

19. Roamingdoc

Roamingdoc New Member

Just as an FYI, these R-25s are hitting out to 1000 yards and so a 9 power might be a bit less than perfect for anyone with eyes older than, say, 35... 40. I'm putting something a bit stronger on mine...

20. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

In reference to your idea of using iron sights and an optic, there are rail mounts available that go in the middle of a carry handle, you can see the scope and your iron sights. just a thought.