DPMS Oracle 7.62 x 51 good?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Darth AkSarBen, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Member

Any reason not to get a DPMS Oracle .308 AR-10? I mean, is there something unusual about finding magazines with this one over some of the others like Armalite?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

they use sr25 mags so you can use pmags. currently easy to get not terribly expensive and work well.

reasons not to get one, 4 letters, d p m s

some folks have decent luck with them others not so much. if you do have issues their CS isnt that great as their first reaction tends to be blame the customer.

there is a reason they are cheap...

my personal experience is shoddy builds with nothing torqued to spec or properly staked. ive rebuilt 5 or 6 of them for friends. once done they ran very well. so the money your saving is the skilled labour on assembly.

3. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Member

Thanks Jon! I'm not worried about the way they are put together, I can always "correct" what they may have missed. I have built 3 complete AR-15 all the way down to the individual barrels, barrel nuts, gas tubes, as well as lower receiver from blank and kits. Del Ton Lower with a DPMS kit I believe on all 3 of them... except the one 18" AR-15 with the Buffalo SS barrel. That lower is a Georgia Aerospace lower. Both I have now, a 16" with 1in 11.25 twist 5 grove rifling and the 18" are 6.8 SPC with the improved chamber for hotter loads, the ORIGINAL specs with more free bore in the throat area before the rifling.

If the barrel is well done with good rifling and good chamber specs I'm alright. And, if the magazines are pretty much standard, that is also pretty nice.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

You shouldnt have any problems you cant correct then.

Barrels are generally ok. I prefer cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels for most semi auto. But depends on your level of use.