Firearms Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
My 178gr AMAX loads shoot lightss out, and the 175 SMK's are a pretty good round too. I mostly use my LR 308 for hunting coyotes, and have taken several hogs with it.
Try to get more velocity out of your rounds if possible. I don't have the problem with spent brass hitting me in the face. The AMAX loads are running 2680, and the SMK's are a little slower. I am working to make them run faster, as they hit about a minuet lower than the AMAX do.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
The vision in my left eye is slightly better and I'm left eye dominant, but right handed, so on the bench I usually shoot left handed about 60-75% of the time. That's when/ where the shells hit me.

In the field, if I don't think about it, I shoot right handed and it's no problem.

Have you tried any factory offerings loaded AMAX's? What length of barrel is your LR308?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
A little long-term follow up. Federal gold medal match 5-shot groups were 1.13", 1.37", and 0.95" ave of 1.15" w. a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. I haven't kept a careful log, if I include the initial 0.84, average group size is 1.07"

The vision in my left eye is slightly better and I'm left eye dominant, but right handed, so on the bench I usually shoot left handed about 60-75% of the time. That's when/ where the shells hit me.

In the field, if I don't think about it, I shoot right handed and it's no problem.

Have you tried any factory offerings loaded AMAX's? What length of barrel is your LR308?
Sounds like you need to buy a brass catcher.

I took this gun in on trade, and later found out it needed some TLC. The gas tube needed sealed and the chamber needed polishing. I put on a Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 and some inexpensive quad rings. The thought being, if the gun shoots good or looks promising, then invest in glass. The trigger is a RRA 2-stage varmint w. 3.5 lb pull.

It was pretty windy with a crosswind. I managed to get this group in between gusts: 4 shots were awesome with 1 flier (flier not in the pic.). Distance was 100 yards.

Shooting was done off a bipod. Live and new lesson learned: I've mostly shot with a bipod off a bench or on packed soil. This time, while shooting off grass, I found I could wedge the bipod feet into the base of the grass. The bipod was firmer than ever. I also used my new homemade squeeze bags.

I was shooting 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match. Here are the 4 shots next to a dime. The accuracy is on par with my Remington 700 that I'd kicked myself for trading away.
I built the same gun for myself about 10 years ago. Though I have never tested it to the standard you present, I always knew it would drive tacks if needed!

Now I am even more impressed with my LR-308!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.