Firearms Talk banner

DPMS LR-308T: smokin'

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Kilibreaux 
#1 · (Edited)
I took this gun in on trade, and later found out it needed some TLC. The gas tube needed sealed and the chamber needed polishing. I put on a Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 and some inexpensive quad rings. The thought being, if the gun shoots good or looks promising, then invest in glass. The trigger is a RRA 2-stage varmint w. 3.5 lb pull.

It was pretty windy with a crosswind. I managed to get this group in between gusts: 4 shots were awesome with 1 flier (flier not in the pic.). Distance was 100 yards.

Shooting was done off a bipod. Live and new lesson learned: I've mostly shot with a bipod off a bench or on packed soil. This time, while shooting off grass, I found I could wedge the bipod feet into the base of the grass. The bipod was firmer than ever. I also used my new homemade squeeze bags.

I was shooting 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match. Here are the 4 shots next to a dime. The accuracy is on par with my Remington 700 that I'd kicked myself for trading away.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I'm well pleased with the rifle. The 16" barrel makes it a little lighter and handier. I'd been planning to build an AR-15 in a similar configuration. I want a lightweight, accurate, shorter, easy to walk with AR.

I'm reconsidering after this AR-10. I need to take it for a few hikes and hunts and see if the weight really is an issue. I'm not doing running around/drills, etc. so maybe the weight is more of a perceived problem than actual.

What loads do you find work well in your rifle?

#8 ·
Locutus, Have you carried the 16" in the field much? Do you find it unwieldy or good to go?

The 16 incher is a joy to carry. Only about 3/4 lb heavier than the 5.56 mm.

My son's 24 inch HB really needs to have wheels on it.:p

Mine has very tight chamber. Case trimming is critical, and a small base sizing is die required.

OTOH, inexpensive Silver Bear is it's favorite ammo.:)

#9 ·
Guns that shoot inexpensive ammo well are the rare gems in life :) I never used to believe such things could exist, until I acquired a rifle that shot sub-MOA with cheap ammo and turned its nose up at a variety of match ammo.

I don't get it, and to be honest, without personal experiences like I had, I wouldn't believe the Silver Bear.

Truth is stranger than fiction :cheers:

#10 ·
Just a quick follow-up. I hit the range again today. Here's another 5-shot group of 168gr. 4 of the bullets make a single ragged hole of .531" with number 5 increasing the group to 0.838"

I have a theory to test. I want to load 6 bullets and shoot 5. I'm wondering if the hold-open affects shot number 5.

Attachments

#12 ·
Last comment, then it's lights out... The rifle has no shell deflector. I had a few brass eject into my cheek hard enough to leave 0.308" circles. I had my wife hold the brass up to my face to compare diameter. I like the rifle, I like the accuracy, but brass hitting my cheek doesn't seem like the ticket to avoiding flinches. Is this normal for a slick side rifle?!

#13 ·
Hit the range on Sunday to sight in with a different scope. Group size was larger. About 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" (one 5-shot group). I misplaced my target, otherwise the pic of shame would be posted. I noticed the cross-hairs wiggling with my heartbeat. I'm not sure if I'm noticing it because of the higher magnification, or I was exceptionally unsteady, but it was a bit disconcerting. Hopefully, it's me having a bad day.

#15 ·
Not long ago I saw a picture of an add on shell deflector but don't have a link handy. I bet a little googling might turn something up. Surely there is a market for a face saver!

#16 ·
I noticed myself jerking the trigger on the second stage trying to time the shots. I think I either need to back off the magnification, go back to the smooth trigger pull or practice a lot more trigger control and try to really learn when the hammer is ready to be released, and get to where that's a tiny split second squeeze.

The extra (and quality) magnification is like flipping on a light switch and seeing for the first time that your house is actually filthy.

I have that feeling now. It sucks to realize I have a shooting problem that's going to take time, effort, and a lot of ammo to help fix. Turning down the magnification (turning off the lights) is probably a good coping strategy in the interim.

#18 ·
Quentin,
On the bright side, this last outing the hot brass were landing on my back instead. The fact that one outing I'm getting hit in the face, and the next outing, they're back warmers tells me my shooting position isn't as consistent as it should be either.

#21 ·
My 178gr AMAX loads shoot lightss out, and the 175 SMK's are a pretty good round too. I mostly use my LR 308 for hunting coyotes, and have taken several hogs with it.
Try to get more velocity out of your rounds if possible. I don't have the problem with spent brass hitting me in the face. The AMAX loads are running 2680, and the SMK's are a little slower. I am working to make them run faster, as they hit about a minuet lower than the AMAX do.

#22 ·
The vision in my left eye is slightly better and I'm left eye dominant, but right handed, so on the bench I usually shoot left handed about 60-75% of the time. That's when/ where the shells hit me.

In the field, if I don't think about it, I shoot right handed and it's no problem.

Have you tried any factory offerings loaded AMAX's? What length of barrel is your LR308?

#23 ·
A little long-term follow up. Federal gold medal match 5-shot groups were 1.13", 1.37", and 0.95" ave of 1.15" w. a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. I haven't kept a careful log, if I include the initial 0.84, average group size is 1.07"

#25 ·
The vision in my left eye is slightly better and I'm left eye dominant, but right handed, so on the bench I usually shoot left handed about 60-75% of the time. That's when/ where the shells hit me.

In the field, if I don't think about it, I shoot right handed and it's no problem.

Have you tried any factory offerings loaded AMAX's? What length of barrel is your LR308?
Sounds like you need to buy a brass catcher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.