Dpms lr-308

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by truevil1313, Jun 19, 2013.

1. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

After everyone talked me out of an ACOG(thankfully) I received my Nightforce 3.5-15x50, my Larue Q.D. mount and all of the other little goodies I wanted to put on my rifle. I finished putting it all together yesterday afternoon. Here is what it turned out to be. I am still only waiting on my Harris bi-pod and my rail covers. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. stimis

stimis New Member

Very nice looking.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I think I'm jealous! Nice stick! More pron plz!
    What kind of muzzle brake is that?
    When can we get a range report?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

other than the larue mount you did good :)

5. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

This is the only pic I have as of yet.
    The break I got from Brownells it is a PRECISION ARMAMENT M11 SEVERE-DUTY™ MUZZLE BRAKE

I am getting out tomorrow, do break in the barrel and zero the scope tomorrow. I should have a range report up Friday.

6. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Thanks!
    I know you don't like Larue, but so far with my other Larue mount, I have had no issues. I hope I don't have any with this one either.

7. lilnoug

lilnoug New Member

That looks like a magpul moe pistol grip? I'm asking because I just purchased a dpms oracle in. 308 and wanted to know if the magpul pistol groups will work on the lr 308 platform?

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Pretty much any accessory for an AR15 will fit on the LR series of AR10's.
    My LR-260H sports an ACE skeleton stock,Hogue pistol grip,and a RRA NM 2 stage trigger.

Truevil,Nice looking weapon.
    I look forward to your range report on it. If you haven't changed the factory trigger,you will probably want to after you shoot it,mine was terrible.

9. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Yes, That is a Magpul grip, but I don't remember if it is the moe or not. It seems like any standarad AR grip will fit.

10. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I did have a chance to shoot it yesterday, and I do agree that I need to change the trigger. I will post a full range report later today, with a pic or two. It did very well, as long as went slow. It certainly needs a new trigger though.

11. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Here is the range report.
    I walked out to my home range yesterday to shoot this rifle for the first time.
    I had already cleaned and inspected the rifle, so I lubed up the bolt and away I went.
    I first did a quick manual bore sight and could see the same picture through the scope. I sat down at 25 yards, loaded 1 round, and got into the prone position. Using a Haris bipod, I fired the first round, it was about 4 inches high and 2 inches right. Following the break in instructions, I then cleaned the barrel using a brass brush and patches. I fired 9 more rounds and cleaned after each round, making small adjustments to the scope until it was dead center, and 1/2 inch low of the X. Satisfied with the results, I packed up and went out to 100 yards.
    I got myself set up in the prone position at 100 yards, and loaded 5 rounds. I fired all 5, which were grouping about 2 inches high and 1 inch right. I cleaned the rifle again, made the adjustments to the scope, and loaded 5 more rounds. All 5 rounds then hit the X ring. I cleaned the rifle again, and loaded 5 more rounds. I fired at and hit the X ring 3 more time, and then I switched over to a 6 inch by 10 inch steel plate and made it ring twice. I hammered the steel plate the rest of the evening, cleaning the rifle after every 5 rounds.
    I should mention, at the 25 yard mark, I was using cheaper Federal Fusion 180 grain, but at 100 yards I switched over to Norma 168 grain match ammo. When I was satisfied with my zero at 100 yards, I switched back over to the Fusion to play with the steel plate. All told I shot 50 rounds yesterday and could not be more pleased. The pictures show 8 rounds in the X ring at 100 yards. The further picture shows that there are no other rounds on the target. This is a sweet shooting set up!

Attached Files:

12. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Sweet...gotta love that Nightforce.....

13. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I love the whole set up, except the trigger. I just ordered a new Geissel today. But yes, the Nightforce is awesome!!!!

14. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Wow thats so awsome i only with i build a 308 instead of the 556. One nice shooting rifle!!!!

15. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I am about to break it down again and change a few things. I am very excited! My PRI Gen III free float hand guard came in Friday, and my low profile gas block will be in tomorrow. This is the set up I initially wanted, but the gas block had been back ordered. I just checked my email, and found out it shipped on Friday and that I would get it tomorrow. When I get the rifle set up again, I will post new pics.

16. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

My PRI Gen III free float hand guard installed. Just waiting on the trigger to show up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 308win REALLLLLLLY likes the AR format for some reason. ive never seen one that wasnt a great shooter

18. estammer

estammer New Member

What are you using as a replacement trigger group? My LR-308 in 24" Stainless Bull Barrel is all stock with a Nikon 308BDC scope and mount. At 100 yds, all center ring. Still have to measure my 200 and 300 yard spots. Shoots well, trigger too tight!

19. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I chose the Geissele Super Semi Automatic Enhanced Trigger AR-15, LR-308 Small Pin .154" Two Stage Matte trigger.

20. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Sexy looking setup, I'm jealous. :cool: