dpms ar10 recon vs colt le901

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What are yalls thoughts on these two? I don't want to buy a name, I'm more interested in performance. Which will perform greater in reliability, accuracy, over all lifespan? Any advise will be appreciated

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i went down that route before the re-election of dear leader. i was just about to go with the colt 901 when the deal feel through and im kinda glad it did as i have read mixed reviews of it. i ended up going with the scar17s.

what i didnt like about the dpms was the balance and weight. its a HEAVY gun and feeels very nose heavy to me. the 901 is a bit better in balance. the scar17 is perfect and is very comparable in weight to most ar15 builds.

if your considering a 901 you are in the price range of a scar17.

i would suggest looking at all three in real life if possible.

scar17
    monolithic upper
    very easy to work on
    barrels can be swapped for other calibers and return to zero
    very accurate like all 308 semi autos
    lightweight
    well balanced
    lots of aftermarket mods
    very good iron sights
    poor stock trigger
    uses proprietary mags

dpms308
    very accurate
    uses pmags
    some aftermarket parts and accessories are specific to ar10 manufacturer
    usable but not great stock trigger
    some reported reliability issues when very dirty
    balance can be an issue

colt 901
    monolithic upper
    accuracy unknown to me
    can accept 223/556 style uppers
    uses pmags
    excellent iron sights
    still new and has been delayed for various issues
    not much aftermarket parts
    jury still out on longterm reliability

prolly more plusses minuses im missing

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thanks. I have the dpms and the colt was a possible trade. I put a cmc trigger in because your right, the trigger was way to heavy. I'd love to get a scar but the price tag is pretty heafty.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I won't say this about many guns but it's worth it. Especially after your done messing with it.

If any rifle is a do it all it's the scar17. Dmr, sniper, battle rifle, cqb, hunting.

I have yet to find a load that shoots over 1 moa. My experience is how far under moa will it go.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I had a DPMS LR308 and really like the Recon package for the price. While I'm not a huge fan of Panther AR15's, their 308 products offer excellent performance for the price IMO. And I really like the Recon (which would get a number of upgrades if I bought one, beginning with the stock and trigger).

The Recon's been in the back of my mind for a while, as has the FN Scar-17 (different price points, obviously). But for the $1500 price range, I think the Recon, M1A, and DSA Fal are the best semi-auto 308 options out there. But that whole perspective could get tipped on it's head when PSA's AR10 becomes available. If I'm in your shoes (and if you're determined to go the AR-10 route), I'd probably wait a few weeks and see what becomes of Palmetto's PA-10.

Have to expect PSA's demand will be heavy and rifles/parts/portions will be selling out fast for the remainder of this year. They've got a huge following...but for good reason. The quality to price ratio at PSA is generally great, bordering on inconceivable.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have a recon 308. Put in a cms trigger, can grip, and will be putting on a pre stock. Great rifle and the pistol grip feels amazin

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Sorry, caa grip and cmc trigger

8. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

What is your intended use?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Long rang precision shooting

10. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Do you have much experience with long range shooting and what's your experience with sass rifles. I ask only to share my experience as a Marine Corps Sniper.

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

None and none, care to spill the beans

12. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I would first ask what's the intended use. (You said long distance precision.) To what ranges are "long" for you? Do you plan on using it inside of 100 yards? Ie: clearing rooms or buildings.

If only shooting long distance then you have two choices. Semi auto or bolt guns?
    You have selected a semi auto from the choices listed above. But do you know the advantages and disadvantages of both types of rifles?

Bolt guns are generally much more accurate. They can be made to meet 1/4 to 1/2 moa. Bolts have a slower rate of fire and have limited ammo capacity.

Semi autos are less accurate. Not by a lot, but it's enough. Especially at longer distance. The upside is they can be used up close as a support weapon, also as a patrol gun. The ammo capacity is 20 round mags and can be carried on a vest.

There's been times I've been known to bring both bolt and semi autos on ops. But I always favored the m40 bolt gun. It provided the extra distance and accuracy I needed/wanted when providing over watch.

So which gun do you think fits your need better?

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Well I wanted the both of both world so u chose the sass. I'm looking to shoot 800 plus yards, 1000 would be great

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  14. JonM

JonM Moderator

308 isnt really a 1000yd cartridge. it starts struggling once it hits 800.

i went through a similar decision and having done some 1000 yd shooting with 308 its just too wonky a caliber at that range to be reliable for real accuracy. i went scar17 more for its decent accuracy but more realistic use as battle rifle rifle that is capable of filling a DMR role.

if you really want 800+ you need to look at 300mag or bigger and that is the territory of good bolt guns.

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Well here's the part that stinks. If you want 1000 yard shots, the sass is going to be tough to achieve an accurate shot. While the .308 can make 1000 yard shots, the 300 win mag is much better.

I would honestly say go with the sass. It's a go to war type gun that can be carried full time.
    Get a nice heavy match grade barrel, a great bcg, nice trigger and go hit the range and build up the skill needed to operate a weapon like that.

Just my .02. Most of my engagements were within 700m and a sass was a better choice for that role.

16. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I planed on upgrading trigger, bcg, and buffer, but what's wrong with the barrel, he'll I thought that's what most of the price was,

17. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

The barrel needs to be a heavy match grade. Most of the rifles are not match grade. They are chf and chrome lined. If your selected rifle comes with match grade (pof, larue, some lwrc) you will definitely know. Hence the reason on the higher price tags.

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What are your thoughts on the gap10? It's a little more but everything seems to be match grade

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I hear there are "Heavy Barrel" 300 win Mag, and 338 Lapuas in Semi-Auto coming out. Still, you want a 20" or longer if your trying to push a 7.62 to 800 Yds. and be at least on paper if not in the center black. My M1's are 20 " & 24", and I wouldn't even try 800 with the 20", but I'm not a full time SDM,..just Shooting for my own enjoyment..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

The gap 10 would be a good choice. The have thicker/stronger upper receivers, a great 5th barrel and great customer service.
    I would get either the 18" or 20" barrels. The statement made above isn't entirely true. The .308 is capable of great precision out of a 18" @ 900m.