DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dragunovsks, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'm currently saving money to buy an AR, even got the wife helping me. I'm eyeballing a DPMS Panther in 5.56mm, it has a 6-pos. adjustable stock, short M-4 barrel with carry handle. The guy at the gun store told me I should spend a little less and get a Del-Ton AR with a flat-top upper. DPMS=$750, Del-Ton=$699. I'm not big into scopes, I like shooting using iron sights and if I get the Del-Ton, I'll just have to buy a rear sight. Give me some opinions on which you guys would buy. Myself, I'm still leaning towards the DPMS, cause I've heard a lot of good things about them and I've never heard of Del-Ton

2. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:) Hello there!

If I were going out tomorrow morning, intent upon buying a new rifle, and wanted to spend less than $12-$1500 bucks on an AR platform, this is the rifle I would buy -

Stag Arms

:confused: What, by the way, is a Delton?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Do you have any interest in building your own? I am going to be doing a write up later this week and over the weekend most likely of how to build your own AR platform from a stripped upper and lower receiver. Might be able to save you some cash and you would have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Just food for thought if you are interested.

In any event, I have read that Del-Ton has a deal to sell DPMS rifles and that Del-Ton's prices on their own gear is cheaper because they are sim parts. I don't know this to be true or not, but that is word around some other forums.

I handled DPMS rifles at SHOT in Feb and they seem like a well put together piece of kit. They are proud of them, I can tell you that, but for parts I don't think they compare to say CMMG or someone like that.

I personally like the flat top receiver, then I can mount my heads up EoTech, which is like shooting through open sights, but I can see it in all light conditions, so take that for what it's worth.

JD

4. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:) Not a bad idea, Dillinger!

Then, the OP should do what 1/2 a dozen of the other, 'big name' AR companies do, and buy his component parts from Stag too. ;)

5. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I agree with G, get a Stag. Off the shelf they offer the best bang for the buck. Just my $.02

6. kevinleif2

kevinleif2 New Member

you get what you pay for, and DPMS is cheap for a reason-low quality...haven't heard of Del-Ton...i was first thinking the same for my ar-"there are some that go for like $650 man!", but i was shown rifles that were bought for 650, and those that were bought for 1100, and saw the quality for myself.

i have a Stag...i would use their uppers at the least...and a timney trigger would be a great call, but at this point, the price is already close to $750...

you might want to save you $ and spend it on quality...it doesn't have to be the best of the best, but i'm sure that after building it, you'd want to keep it for a while, right?

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Actually I found a Century Arms AR, 20" barrel about a mile down the road at another gun store for $599 in Clarksville, Indiana. I'm the same guy Dellinger was chating with about AR's in another thread. I originally wanted a shorter rifle such as the DPMS Panther Lite 16" with 6-pos. adjustable stock cause it's easier exiting and entering my pick-up at the range with it. I've banged the barrel of my SKS into my door, door frame, roof pillar and whatever else alot. I decided on the 20" cause the price was too good to pass up. It would be more accurate anyways.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

I`m fae from an expert on AR`s, but I have a Rock River and love it. Function and accuracy both far better than I expected.

9. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Either....

WIth either of those 2 brands, you would be doing okay. Contrary to what some think, neither of those 2 are "low quality". I own a few DPMS AR's and have never had any issue with any of them, that I didn't cause myself. By that I mean using a bad mag in them, or faulty cleaning job - things that would have made even my most expensive AR hiccup. One of them is setup with a 20" 1:8 target barrel and will consistently shoot less than 1moa with decent ammo. As for Del-Ton, I've purchased lowers and uppers, barrel kits and assemblies from them and have had ZERO issues with anything from them as well. Good folks to deal with and fair. And you'll save a few pennies, too ;)

Slo

10. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Don't want to start a debate here. I respectfully disagree that DPMS is a "low quality" rifle.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNvUPjIOzY]YouTube - DPMS Mark 12 Torture Test[/ame]

When compared to Colt or LMT, I agree that the DPMS (and Bushmaster) don't compare - specification wise. From that perspective, particularly when comparing the materials, and processes used in manufacturing the rifle(s) and components, one could fairly judge DPMS as being not as "serious" as a Colt. According to published data, Stag falls in the middle of the range when held in comparison to Colt and LMT, respectively.

My point here is that for civilian applications and sporting purposes, The DPMS products are just fine. My DPMS rifle is well made and operates flawlessly in the casual application for which it was purchased.

I respect the opinion that is held by some that the lower end AR's would be a liability in a combat / bet your life on your weapon application. IMHO, just because the DPMS products are a value, doesn't make them low quality. I have been in combat with the Colt rifle, and have seen many instances where they have failed.

Don't count DPMS out when making this decision. I love my rifle, it's a DPMS.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPls_W7r2Is&NR=1]YouTube - DPMS Segment from FirePowerTV[/ame]

11. J33Nelson

J33Nelson New Member

D.P.M.S is not a low quality product! The Philippines army and marines use D.P.M.S ARs as their main sniper weapons in their on going war against Communist and Islamic insurgencies. Those are very tough jungle conditions that they are fighting in and the D.P.M.S has been very reliable and successful.

12. TwoHandRevy

TwoHandRevy New Member

Hey, Slo I got a question: Are Del-Ton's made well enough to where if you were in a situation where your life was on the line, that one of their ARs could get you out of it safely?

13. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

IF...you put it together CORRECTLY, paid attention to the simple things, as well as the details during assembly, cleaned and lubed, are using good magazines, ammo that you have tried in that particular gun with no issues....IF you did all that....then in a word......YES.

Now if you are talking about a pre-assembled piece, I don't have anything in my safe or anywhere else that I haven't taken apart. So I know that assembly wise, if anything did hiccup, it was my own undoing. Part quality wise, I haven't seen anything in any of their upper assemblies, or complete kits that I would have any issue using. Maybe if you were to break out the calipers or micrometers and compare side by side with LMT, Colt, or Sabre Defense, you might find a part that may or may not match up with them perfectly. But I've never found anything from them..yet..that I would not use. For my .02, they are gtg.

Slo

14. Myammo-is-myvote

Myammo-is-myvote New Member

Del-ton vs DPMS

I have read up on both of these companies and have heard positive things on both ends. I was going to gow with del-ton because of the price and good reviews from the articles i have read. But ther is such a long wait for the kits and recievers on both of those sites i figured i'd star from scratch and build my own.
    I think i will get the lower parts kit from del-ton @ $55 vs the 70-78 on other sites and just replace the triger with a two stage.

by no means am i an expert. i'm new to it. some i'm bound to make some mistakes or poor choices do to feeling out personal preferences but thats how you learn what you like and what you dont like.

My two cents.

15. warhorse46

warhorse46 New Member

Del-ton good to go

Hey, I can understand the concern about the make. But really the 750.00 M-4 DEL-TON id as good as any Colt or Bushmaster I have fired. I just bought one and have fired about 500 rounds through it so far and not one issue. It is tight and well put together. Set it beside the M-4 Colt and you can't tell them apart. Manufacturing and equipment the makers have are all the same the best M-16 I had in the service was built by GM so does it really matter who built it? I don't think so. If GM can build one that holds up to dirt and sand the Del-Ton should be fine. Just my opinion. Now Lock and Load! US Army Combat Engineers 1983-1992.

16. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

Del-ton

I have a Del-ton AR M-4 style 16" upper and have put hundreds of rounds down range with no issues. I have not been to the range in a couple of months, and keep my AR in the basement, and not a spot of rust on rifle, even with the smallest amount of lubrication. Pretty good if you ask me. The Colt we had in the Corps would rust after a week or less, so when it comes to quality, it is relative and if you want microns of accuracy, go with the high priced AR's, but in military terms my Del-ton is way beyond good enough for government work.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Do you really believe your Del-Ton will stand up to more abuse than your Colt got in the Corps? Big difference between stored in the basement and being beat to crap out in the field. Sounds like you're comparing apples to oranges.

18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Glasshartt's patrol rifle is a DelTon and she has used it for almost two years without a problem. Fit, finish and quality is very good to excellent in my opinion and I would not hesitate to trust my or my wife's life to our DelTons.

Scubie

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I laughed a little when I read post #16. The comparison is ridiculous at best.

A little something I was told once, "Time of ownership in no way provides a good description of a rifles quality/durability." I guess its on of those things like keeping a vehicle garaged and never driving it then claiming it last longer w/ fewer malfunctions than a car driven hard everyday.

I just don't see spending the money on a rifle w/ a questionable history when you could have a rifle w/ an outstanding track record in the same price range.

20. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

I did a bit of research and Cerro Forge, which makes the Colt uppers, also makes the Det-ton uppers. You know the Key hole or Birds head, same forge as a square. I do think the metalic make up is just a bit different, but still good quality.