DPMS AR-15s

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SafariSam, May 6, 2012.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

do DPMS make very good AR-15s? been kind of thinking about getting one in 6.5Creedmoor. i'm not a big fan of AR-15s but i would like to own at least one and the 6.5Creedmoor cartridge is very interesting to me, i don't think there is anything wrong with the .223 at all in fact i think it's a very good cartridge. but since i discovered the 6.5Creedmoor and read about it, it has become very interesting to me.

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

they make good rifles i dont know about th 6.5 cartridge though but for plinking and target shooting i even use mine for coyotes and other varmints.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a .308 Carbine. (LR 308-AP4)

I've been very well pleased with it. It's light, accurate, and completely reliable.

OTOH, lotsa folks here have issues with them.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

nothing really wrong with dpms long as you understand its not a run and gun hard working rifle. dpms makes guns knowing that most of their customers are going to shoot maybe 20-40 rounds every couple of months. so they cut some corners here and there.

5. fetep

fetep New Member

There are better rifles out there for the money, look around.

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i shoot no less than a couple hundred rounds a month through mine i go to the range twice a month and have yet to have a problem.by no means would i say take it to battle but reality shows the average person is not going to be "running and gunning"im sure if someone is going to be a compeition shooter they will do research and get a gun more suited for there needs.

7. Swervin

Swervin New Member

No problems with mine..... Just sayin.

8. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

you are dumb I just used a dpms a month ago in Afghanistan

9. WARRIOR78

WARRIOR78 New Member

I have a LR-308 and shot over 100 rounds and no issues. good rifle.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

1k 55 grain mil surp
    600+ mixed commercial 55 gr.
    500+ reloads.
    60 Wolf 62 grain.
    60 Silver Bear 62 grain.
    No malfunctions in my DPMS A4.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You weren't issued one by our military. I think we'll stick with Jon's opinion over yours.

12. billt

billt New Member

Well if he wasn't I'm going way out on a limb and say he didn't buy it at the grand opening of the new Cabela's in Kabul. :rolleyes:

13. billt

billt New Member

deleted post

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sorry friend, but you're making a fool of yourself here. No U.S. Military Unit has ever been issued DPMS AR's. That's just the way it is and wanting it to be so doesn't change the facts.

There's a chance that some private security folks might have some, but that is also doubtful.

I did some research on the subject over at Google and found a recent AR15.com article on the same subject that you may find interesting. They all said the same thing regarding the use of DPMS AR's in the U.S. Military.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=567045

I don't know that there is anything wrong with DPMS AR's, but it just doesn't seem that they are being made for any U.S. Units in the field now or in the past.

15. losack

losack New Member

I have the 5.56 and the .308.

Accurate, simple, built decent.

The one thing about the AR format. You can take any gun down to the receiver and make it whatever style or quality you want.

I've never been in the military, nor to I shoot rifles competitively. But, I can shoot them well.

As far as run and gun. Have any of you experienced warrior's (BTW, thank you for your service!) seen a receiver fail, melt down, do something catastrophic?

Just a questions. It seems to me if a receiver holds, anything else can be upgraded.

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You have been mislead. In most cases the receivers have nothing to do w/ an ARs overall performance which includes reliability. Polymer and probably being the exception. As long as they are w/i spec.

It's the stuff inside that makes the difference. Would you prefer a Twinkie filled w/ the normal filler or a Twinkie filled w/ fecal matter? Why would you purchase a poop filled Twinkie, suck out the crap, then fill it w/ delicious cream? I would be worried I wouldn't be able to get all the crap out. Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and put your mind at ease to just purchase a Twinkie w/ that delicious cream in it from the beginning?

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I can not take the opinion of someone who would eat a Twinkie seriously.:rolleyes:

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I think the fecal filled might be healthier. Lol

19. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

huh?......:eek:

20. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

It was in responce to the guy who recommended purchasing a DPMS and replacing its internals w/ quality parts. It makes as much sense as purchasing a **** filled Twinkie then replacing the **** w/ cream rather than purchasing a Twinkie w/ cream in it to begin w/.

MM13, you are probably correct but it would sure leave a nasty taste in your mouth. lol