Downsize Question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sdiver35, May 2, 2013.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I'm thinking of downsizing my handgun collection and can't decide on which to possibly get rid of...which 3 should I keep and why?

Glock 19 9mm
    HK USP 45c
    S&W .40 VTAC
    Nighthawk Custom .45
    Sig P226 Combat 9mm
    Sig P938 9mm

All of them have a purpose, but I have another venture that I want to fund without using cash from the bank. :eek:

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Disclaimer THIS IS JUST MY OPINION ONLY!!
    With the economy looking up (finally) more people have a little bit more discretionary income... so selling is a good decision now.... and listing them here on the FTF in the classifieds is a good option.
    First.. choose which 9mm is your favorite (shoot often, feels right, conceals easy etc.) and sell the other two. Second... if money is the goal that Nighthawk is (again IMO) the most valuable and the one that will hold and rise in price... so decide if it's more important to have money in hand or a good investment. Third... there is definitely more of a niche' market (cult following) for the HK than the S&W so that will probably sell quicker and for more. Good luck.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I'd keep the two Sigs and the H&K. My reasoning is that the Sigs give you a good CC weapon and another platform that uses the same ammo, and the H&K is a nice 5" barrelled .45 acp. for fun and thumping. Both manufacturers have a great quality rep too. My$.02.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You have too many Glocks, so that would be first.
    Then the H&K (the .45 is covered by the Nighthawk, and there are more 'smiths available who can work on 1911s.)
    Then the P938 (kind of hard to get parts for in SHTF, while the P226 is all over.)

But this is only my opinion!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trick question?
    You don't get rid of guns--You get more :confused:

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree completely.

so it's .02
    + .02
    =.04

7. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

+1 Exactly!!

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd keep the two SIGS and the Glock

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I would keep the H&K, Nighthawk, and SIG P938, so you get the two most popular calibers and all three are good guns leaving you with a diverse enough choice for the majority of situations.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I'd keep all 3 of your CZ's

11. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

If I had to choose I'd keep one of each caliber. 9mm p226, .40 VTAC & .45 Nighthawk

12. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Getting rid of the .40 would eleminate ammo cost of one full cartridge. Never been a fan of S&W auto anyway. Trigger kills me.

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, but after reading all of them it seems I should keep all of them for one reason or another.

So I'm still stuck on what to do. I could get rid of the M&P .40 and use my wife's when I want. Oh and I reload 9, 40 and 45 so the ammo isn't that big of a deal.

14. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

If it was me keep them all. I can't fathom selling a gun. I put so much thought into buying them and no intention of ever selling any of them no matter how little they get used.

15. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

My thoughts exactly

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, if you just really have or want to do that ^^^

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Don't know what you are looking at aquiring next. But, my first suggestion to most folks is to start saving money and plan to save until you can afford what you want.

If there is a gun you don't use and it is easily replaced later if you regret selling it, then that would be my first choice if you needed the money quickly. I recommend only selling a gun for quick money if there is a deal that is a limited time offer as far as supporting the hobby goes.

18. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Personally I would keep just the 9mm. The 226 and g19 both work as a shtf gun and the g19 and 938 are both excellent options for ccw. If one had to be chosen it would be the g19 as it is the gun with the most diverse use of all the weapons you have listed. And just like everyone else has said this is only my opinion. And as far as ammo goes one caliber makes things slot easier and whatever you have stockpiled in the other calibers can either be traded for 9 or sold to help in funding your new endeavor

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Nighthawk Custom 45
    Sig P938

Because everyone needs a 1911 in 45 and a pocketable 9mm!

The 3rd is between the P226 & USP. Hard choice for sure. I prefer the 226 by look, but other than that I guess I'd go with which I liked shooting more.

I loathe striker fire guns and anything without an external hammer, so that's why the Glock & S&W were easy to pass on for me.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Assuming you are serious about downsizing and this isn't just an exercise...

If I were down to just 3 handguns, I'd probably want to stay with one single caliber, three different sizes. My reasoning is one of prepping. Staying with only one caliber means you can sell 100% of your 45acp and 40S&W.

Thus, Glock 19 and the two Sigs fulfill this line of thought.

Plus, since the only reason one would downsize is financial, someone in need of money should probably not even think of owning a Nighthawk.