Downloading the 44 mag for kids

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

I've had phenomenal accuracy with "Trail Boss" powder. I use this load in both a S&W 44 Mag Classic revolver with a 5" barrel and a Marlin 44 Mag Carbine. It groups around 2-3 inches at 50 yds. in the S&W & 2 inches at 100 yds. in the Marlin. In the Marlin, I use the RNFP (Round Nose Flat Point) because it feeds smoothly into the chamber. SWC's are great in a revolver, but they'll sometimes hang up in a lever rifle.
    One other caution: If you're shooting lighter loads in a rifle, I wouldn't go below 950 fps. Remember, the bullet has to clear a longer 16 - 20" barrel. And I wouldn't load any jacketed bullet below 1,100 fps.

Trail Boss powder has an added safety advantage. It fills up most of the case, so a double charge is very unlikely; it would overflow. Some of the faster powders that are suitable for light loads have to have such light charges, the powder is hard to see in the case & double & triple charges would fit & a missing charge would be hard to spot.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    headspace and Shopfox like this.
  2. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

That's one of the powders I'm looking at to use with the 240gr SWC-HP's (#11118) based on the Hornady manual. The 44 magnum loads start at 800 fps up to 1000 fps.

Everyone is out of Titegroup in my area, but the one place in town that has a limited selection of powders, has Trailboss. If I go this route, I can use the brass I have without having to order 44 special brass or change my dies around between 44 special and 44 mag. The main downside is stocking another bullet and another powder.

I think I'm better off using something like H110 for the full-powered hunting rounds with jacketed bullets.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    headspace and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

check on the Alliant Power Pistol powder. i use that for every pistol cartridge i load for, 40 S&W, 38 Spl., 357 Mag., 44 Spl., 44 Mag., and 45 acp. plus i can use it for the loads for the 454 Casull when i get one, and also the 45 Colt for the 454 Casull.

a very versatile pistol powder, and it's reasonable in cost, and accuracy is pretty decent.

4. Shopfox

I looked at this and Unique. It seems like if I pick a powder to use for both applications, I give up a lot of velocity on the hunting round side (maybe 300 fps or so).

There again, that may not be a bad thing. Forced to keep the shots close, and the bullet drops down fast in case of a miss by the kids.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

these are the 44 Mag. and 44 Spl. load recipes i use with Power Pistol powder.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...owderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=8&cartridge=33

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=8&cartridge=32

i have had really good results with accuracy with this powder.

Shopfox likes this.
  6. Shopfox

For some reason, I had it stuck in my mind I had to use 240gr jacketed bullets (I have them for my .444), if I drop down to the lighter 200-210gr bullets, I can keep the powder common for my 44 special and magnum loads.

My gut feeling is that its better to have commonized powders than it is to have commonized bullets.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. Shopfox

I ended up stopping at my local gun shop and picking up a bottle of Trail Boss for $16.95 and 100 large pistol primers for $3.95 he said he will order in some lead bullets in the 180 grain to 240 grain next week. His powder selections were little limited, but its the only game in town without 60 miles of driving.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Shopfox

Fwiw, here were the in-stock bullet options

Attached Files:

9. Shopfox

Holy Cow, this is a must read. Basically Trail Boss can be used to load any rifle or pistol cartridge, lead or jacketed bullets: Albeit with low-velocity, reduced-power, low-recoil results.

Attached Files:

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. mikld

mikld Member

FWIW; one of the reasons the 44 Magnum is my favorite round is it's versatility. I have reloaded everything from 123 gr. balls up to 310 gr LRNFP, jacketed, cast and PCed, with gallery to T-Rex Killer loads, in both Magnum and Special brass. There are many loads in the 44 Special data section that will work quite well in 44 Magnum brass both bullets and powder. BTDT...

Shopfox likes this.
  11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

DO NOT load below the listed charges with Titegroup. That is a very volatile pistol powder. I never recommend Titegroup to beginner hand loader's. It's not a gun powder for newbies!

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Shopfox

I've settled on Trail Boss and cast lead bullets (grain is TBD, but likely 240 gr) using 44 mag brass and 44 mag load data for reduced recoil loads. I like that there is good published data to follow with it.

For hunting loads, I'm going to try and find H110. There are loads for it in all my manuals for most of the 44 magnum bullets. I have some 240gr Sierra JHP's on hand, I may pick up some 300gr XTP's to try out.

Dallas53 and headspace like this.
  13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

H110 and Titegroup are Go To 44 magnum powders,but it's way too easy to double/triple charge a case with Titegroup. I love it,but you really have to concentrate on reloading with no distractions when charging cases with it,or you can have a really bad day if you don't.

Dallas53 likes this.
  14. Shopfox

Found some 240gr SWC and 300gr XTP's. Picked up some magnum primers for the H110. Unfortunately, no H110, W296, or Lil' Gun in stock. At least I can start with the 240gr Trail Boss loads.

Plain 240gr 44 special was $53 for a box of 50. Makes reloading look very attractive.

Attached Files:

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. headspace

headspace Well-Known Member

Wow! Better than a buck a pop! I would have never guessed it was that expensive.:eek:

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Dallas53

factory ammo for a 44 Mag. is expensive, even the cheap ammo is expensive. if i didn't reload, i sure couldn't afford to feed the habit. quality bullets are my biggest expense in reloading them. i like the Hornady XTP bullets. i could lessen the cost of reloading for mine if i got into bullet casting, but i need another hobby, like i need a hole in the head!

headspace and Shopfox like this.
  17. mikld

mikld Member

I have loaded some Trailboss (near max as per my manual) with 240 RNFP bullets for my 20" Puma. Very soft shooting and fairly accurate. I didn't run them over my chrony, but they might be good for hunting too, guessing it runs just under 1,000 fps...

Shopfox likes this.
  18. AzShooter

AzShooter Active Member

Trail Boss is perfect for light loads. Great powder and try .44 Russian brass to get the lightest of loads from your .44.

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  19. Shopfox

I didn't know I could shoot the 44 Russian in the .44 mag. For now I'll use the brass I have on hand (44 mag), but the Russian seems like they would be even softer shooting still (180-240gr, ~half the powder, and somewhere in the 700fps range).

If my light 44 mag rounds are still too stout, I'll see about getting some Russian brass (iirc, starline sells it at $25 per 100). Good tip!

Dallas53 likes this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to load 240 grain lead bullets using Bullseye in my revolver. Between 800 and 900 fps. Worked very well, was mild and was accurate. I did not have any 44 spl cases. Leading was not a problem with the low velocity. Today I would use copper plated bullets.
    For light loads in rifle cartridges we used to put a bit of kapok over the powder to keep it in place. Otherwise you got uneven ignition and hang fires.