download a .308

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by formerCav, Dec 18, 2018.

1. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I'm on blood thinner now and my standard load that duplicates the 7.62 NATO is 150 Grain bullet at 2760 FPS and it is very accurate.
    But, My shoulder turns black and blue for like a week.
    I'm thinking of loading some 125 grain bullets. any body else "downloaded" a .308??
    I'd be shooting these through my M1A

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

if it were a bolt action, I think the problem would be easy as just finding a reduced power load in a load data manual. the problem I see is, having enough power to operate the action.

best I can come up with, other than just trying out some factory reduced power loads in 308, and see if they work in your rifle. if they did, then you might try duplicating them in your handloads for your rifle. you could then also fine tune them to your specific rifle.

3. formerCav

I am going to the range on Thursday if it is not windy with my chronograph.
    I loaded up 20 rounds. 125 Sierra TNT bullets (cheapest at 20 bucks a hundred) and 42 grains of IMR 4064 using standard large rifle winchester brand primers and LC once fired brass.
    Will report back with the results

ratpacker, towboater and Dallas53 like this.
  4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Try some rubber !................

5. joed49

joed49 Member

Instead of downloading the cartridge why don't you get a recoil pad? I had one that I wore under my coat for my .300 H&H mag, I could shoot that one for extended periods afterwards. The beauty of wearing one under a coat is that it works with all rifles. Lookup a PAST recoil pad.

Shopfox and 303tom like this.
  6. formerCav

I did. Darned thing is harder then a hockey puck.
    and it says on the package "stock extender" but they sold it to me as a "recoil pad". I think this thing might be harder or have less "give" then the steel hinged buttplate.
    I also bought one of those PAST pads that you strap on.
    IT seems to want to move to wherever you DON'T need it.
    argh!!!

303tom likes this.
  7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

This is how I tamed this old war horse !...........

Enfield No4.JPG

Bought it at Wal-Mart !............

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  8. formerCav

I loaded up 20 rounds of 125 speer TNT bullets, used 42.0 grains of IMR 4064, LC brass once fired, and a standard large rifle winchester brand primer.
    DId this on my dillon 550 b press.
    62 degrees, slightly overcast, and virtually no wind.
    Hi 2602, Lo 2556, Exsteme Spread, 46 Average 2579, Std Deviation 18.
    It is a lighter load, but NOT light enough for this old body.
    I was just shooting to test the speeds. this was with an Oehler 35 P chronograph.
    At the Ben Avery I had to put up a target, so I hastily put up a target REVERSE side out (clean) to cover all the holes. I really didnt have an AIMPOINT as lining up the rifle, chrono, and target on a heavily "regulated" range is near impossible. If you wanted to call it a group, I'd say 4 inches.
    Another day, I may try it for the accuracy part.

towboater likes this.
  9. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

If you are prohibited by competition rules from using a brake, I get that, but ... if not ... have you considered installing or having installed a really effective .308 brake? I think this might be a great solution for you. They really work.

10. formerCav

My m1a has a "stabilizer" on it over the flash suppressor.
    when I bought this rifle, I bought it with the E-2 wood pistol grip stock and I bought a surplus "stabilizer" which the US Army used as a muzzle brake to help control a REAL M-14 while being fired on full auto.
    It helps, but I am sure there are more affective brakes out there. I know the J&P brake would, I had one on a 25-06 years ago. it looked like the one on the end of the M48A3 tank's main gun.

11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife sewed pads into the shoulders of a couple shirts. They work very well with my .358 Norma magnum and heavy bullets.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have shot hard recoiling rifles most of my life. I am now officially an Olde Phart. I take meds that results in my bruising in a spectacular technicolor way if I am hit by anything harder than a very fresh marshmallow. And I have two little .308s that will mark me as their property.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My choices were (a) quit shooting, (b) risk a blood clot that could kill me, or (c) tame the bruising. Being a wimp, I went with C. Shop around for a Limbsaver recoil pad. Best thing since fuzzy socks for a wife with cold feet. You can thank me later.

towboater and Dallas53 like this.
  13. formerCav

i bought a "recoil pad". darned thing is harder then a hockey puck and it says "stock extender"
    Certainly NOT my idea.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter