Dove season is next week....who has the hunting bug!?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by spittinfire, Aug 28, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That's right gents, here in NC dove season opens on Labor day at 12. I will wage war on the bird of peace in hopes of dinning on a tender dove breast wrapped in bacon. On top of that I will enjoy every minute of unloading, breaking open, reloading and repeating with my 16 ga as those fast winged beauties fly by. BUT!!!
    Deer season is close at hand!!! I'm going to make my first attempt at bow hunting this year and I AM PUMPED!! I saw several deer in a field the other night and wished I had a rifle.....you know the bug. Who else has it?? Who else is ready for hunting season and what do you hunt?

Myself?? I hunt dove, squirrel, deer, and turkey with the random other thrown in. Wife won't let me duck hunt because she likes ducks. I give her that because she doesn't give me any crap about hunting anything else. I'd like to add bear to the list in the near future but we'll see.

2. Jess

Jess New Member

counting down the days...not for doves since we can't hunt them here. But there are lots of other things that will keep us occupied

ETA-wrapping anything in bacon ends well!

3. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I am ready,squirrel season is already open,have not gone yet but did get my rifle sighted in the other day. I need to find a decent dove field.

4. spittinfire

You are correct, my new lady friend, and my wife will agree. We fix up our dove in a number of waves but you can't beat a raw dove breast, wrapped in bacon and thrown in the grill.

I welcome any and all dove receipes!!

5. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Sometimes I cut them up and put them in chili and Brunswick stew. The bacon wrap and grill is very good also.

6. Jess

Jess New Member

I have a far more extensive venison recipe catalog, since we eat about 150-200lbs of venison a year.

7. spittinfire

Please share....

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Me think, we need a new sticky for the diffrent recipies everyone has for diffrent game (make it a note to read the other posts so as not to get two of the same recipie)

9. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Can't wait to kill them birds either. I like to wrap bacon and a split jalapeno pepper around the tasty little morsels, then grill till browned and delicious. Grill some corn on the cob and a couple of taters, wash down with cold home-brew. Can't wait. And yes we need a sticky on recipes too.

10. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

I am ready for dove season. Went and bought everything today. Opens Tuesday the 1st here.

11. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

we marinate the little breasts in 7-up for as long as we want(10hrs or longer) then do the bacon wrap and stuff jalapeno inside to finish them off,goood eatin !

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I've never soaked anything in 7-up, but I imagine that it gives the meat a lemon-lime flavor? That sounds damn good. :D

I too would like to see a 'sticky' for recipes for game. :)

13. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Doves make great targets, not so fond of the meat though. We do have folks we clean and give the breast to. The first and main wave are long out of our area though. Our season needs to open in July, not Sept.1 here in central Ks.

14. badarmybrad

badarmybrad New Member

Dove Season in NC

Hey Spittinfire, just wanted to make sure you know our dove season here in NC actually starts Saturday Sept 5 at Noon, NOT on labor day. Hate for you to miss the first day! But yeah Im stoked, cleaned up the 11-87 got 2 cases of #8 and ready to go bro!! Hunt most of the same stuff as you but would like to get a wild hog and bear myself. Ever in Chatham county look me up bro!

good luck! looking forward to a soar shoulder and ending the day with grilled dove and cold beer!

15. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I was out on saturday here near jordan lake on the game lands, sadly i did not see many birds and was only able to retrive one of the four i downed. i also went out today and with the poor weather i didnt see a single bird in nearly 3 hours. but i do have to say it just makes me want to go out more so i can cook something with them :)

16. hilltop109

hilltop109 New Member

I just got back from my first dove hunting experience. Here in Colorado the season started on the first, but I didn't get to hunt until Friday.

I was with my uncle and little brother in North-East CO, and I was Using my Uncle's Rem. 870 Express Super-Mag.

I'm a terrible shot, only got a couple birds (plus one Eurasian, w00t), and last night we cooked em up wrapped in bacon with a jalapeno, it was fantastic.

Just got back to Parker around 5; sweaty, dirty, sore and tired, but happy.

17. badarmybrad

badarmybrad New Member

Is that the Jordan game lands here in Chatham co? I hunt there too, about to head out to Marthas Chapel I think and see if I can get any afternoon birds. Hit me up Id def be up for a hunting buddy. Makes the time go by faster!

B

18. spittinfire

I'm a little late with this post but I went hunting last week and had the WORST dove hunt in my life....I saw 2 birds. It was hot but geez. Even as the day went on and it cooled off, nothing....I'll head out again later this week and hopefully it will be better.

19. ripcord

ripcord New Member

hear in wyoming the doves leave at the first cold weather so I stick with antilope,, deer,, elk ,,, and then bunnies ... freezers are getting lean so I'm ready for antilope opening next fri. then deer then elk.. bunnies after Christmas . you bet ,,,,, the 264 win mag is ready and so are we.

20. spittinfire

never tried antilope but I like elk. There aren't enough here for us to be able to hunt them but I've heard rumors of a lottery in the next few years.