Dove Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by OandB, Sep 9, 2013.

1. OandB

OandB New Member

First and foremost let me say there is no one to blame but myself. So yesterday I went dove hunting and when I got out to the field I realized that I left my plug at home, went skeet shooting last Sunday. Well I was too far to go back so I attempted to make one out of a thin stick but it broke. So I only loaded 3 shells on my gun. Ole GW shows up and is really pleasant but still writes me a ticket. Out of curiosity how much is a no plug ticket in Alabma. H

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I will check for you. I hunt here in Bama with a retired GW. Last year I did the same as you did but was able to cut off a (green) branch and make a plug!:)

3. OandB

OandB New Member

Thank you. I made the mistake. I just hope it isn't too much. My irresponsibility really made the misses happy.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I leave a pencil in the car for just such an emergency.

5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't news one I they're non-migratory I thought?

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

No, you still need one. Don't know if they're migratory or not, but I always thought they were. Regardless, while hunting laws vary state to state, except the federal laws, I don't know of a state that a plug ISN'T required for dove.

7. JimRau

I checked and the fine can very on the county, BUT the fine is insignificant when compared to the court cost here in AL. The court costs are usually $160+, and fine less than $35!:eek:

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup. That is the kind of "plug" my Mossberg had in it when I bought it on the way to dove hunt in 1995.

9. JimRau

What county in Bama are you in????

10. OandB

OandB New Member

Shelby County

11. JimRau

South of me. I am in Winston County. Those doves are a bit elusive aren't they?;)

12. OandB

OandB New Member

To make it worse only saw six dove that day

13. OandB

OandB New Member

Lucky me it was only $100.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Yes, doves ARE migratory. That's why some of the best shoots are in the 3rd and final phase here in Florida. We get the remainder of the migrants. I don't ever put a plug in my shotgun. But then again, I only shoot side x side and O/U doubles. A magazine plug never even crosses my mind.
    cottontop