Double Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DoyleTheDog, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

So what do you guys think about this shotgun?

Stoeger Double Defense

I'm looking for a good home defense shotgun and came across this on another thread. I of course wouldn't need a scope on it, and I know it only holds 2 shots, but 2 shots is really all you would need....

2. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

If you're sure 2 shots are all you would need then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance.

Stoeger has a bit of a rep out on the interwebz but I have one of their pump guns and am very pleased with it, nice handling, reliable, good service from Stoeger too.

That double looks cool... if you're into that.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Personally, I think a double gun has a very strong place in home defense. They are very simple to use, flip the safety and pull, doesn't get much easier. Easy to reload as well. Plus, 2 rounds of 12ga isn't anything to sneeze at. Remember, the average person looking for a HD gun wants to defend his family and I'm willing to bet that 2 rounds from that gun would be enough for 99% of break-ins. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of that thing. Don't forget, a side by side is one of the easiest shouldered guns to point, there is a reason a lot of youngsters start with them.

4. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Hell, I want one!

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I've handed the Stoeger, never shot one, but it seems like a good gun for the price to be honest.

A side by side is a good gun, especially for pointability and hitability.

I don't recommend a shotgun as the first choice for home defense.

Shouldering and moving through doorways or around corners with a rifle or shotty is more complicated than with a pistol.

A good pistol, even a revolver, is going to offer more shots than the side by side - but the shotty will definitely get someone's attention and in a hurry.... LOL

The underside rail on the Stoeger is kind of a neat feature - can mount a light with a touch switch on the front of the stock. Could be effective if you used correctly.

If you purchase, please post up a range report and let us know how you like it.

JD

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A tacticool coach gun. What's next? Railed pea shooters? :rolleyes:

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

JD, I have a 16ga Stoeger and love it. Mind you it is a late 60's model which was made in Spain so it's a little bit different then the subject gun. Stoeger is a lower cost shotgun, but I haven't heard much bad about them.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

20 inch double barreled 12 gauge, ported with rails.........I like it. :cool:

Jack

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I liked it when MattG was droolin over it, and i like it now. I've often considered getting mom a sidebyside shotty in 20 guage; she has aging, sensitive wrists that limit pistol usability.

10. MaJeeper

MaJeeper New Member

Its nice, but I personally prefer shorter barrel pump gun. I have an 18.5" Mossberg 9-shot pump. It was only $399 at Cabelas. As far as a pistol being better for home defense..that's a personal choice. I live in a condo with someone above me and beside me. I prefer a shot gun with home defense rounds that are less likely to penetrate walls.

11. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I want one with an EOTech mounted to it.

Now, if they only made M203s that mounted to Picatinny rails.