Double Charged Ammo Failure~ Colt .44mag

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by KimberFan, Feb 15, 2013.

1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Dayyyyyyyyuuuummmmm!!!!

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Holy shoot! Bet the shooter is OK tho. Look at that damage. Jeez. Probably hard to find the replacement parts in today's environment too.

:D

4. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

After reading the story, another reason why I'm picking up some concealable body armor for the range.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats why i use a powder sensor when im loading on my xl650. easy to catch if your being careful. its also easy to overcharge pistol cases if you make a mistake resulting in kabooms.

helluva a way to lose a great handgun

6. Viking

Viking Active Member

This is exactly why I like to use powders that fill the case to the bottom of the bullet. Many years ago I ruined a very accurate Ruger Super Blackhawk with an unknown double charge of fast burning powder. I don't remember if it was Bullseye or PB all I know is that I always look into the cases to make sure they had powder before seating bullets and I missed the double charge. The only powders I will use for .44 mag anymore are 269, H110 or Accrate Arms #9

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Pretty hard to double charge a 44 mag. Unless you're using a fast powder. In which case why have a 44 mag. I saw a ruger blackhawk do that because it was out of time. If you're using something H110 or W296 you can't put a double charge in a 44 mag case.

8. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Sounds like a damn good reason to use factory loads to me.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

nah, just someone that thinks the book values for powder charges arent really max loads and the powder companies just fudge their numbers for "lawyer" reasons.

plenty of factory loadings make it out the door way over max. QC checks on factory ammo isnt very good. they only spot check a few rounds per lot number. all my handloads get checked so im doing 100% qc

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  10. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

True. You would be amazed at the variances between rounds in a box of bullets. I measured the overall length of a new box of Winchester white box 45 acp and I found them to be between 1.24-1.26.

Every bullet I make is measured and I insure the correct powder load is in before I say the bullet. 21 years of loading without a problem. Quality over quantity.

11. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Hmmm... I'm not a very experienced shooter. Started at age 56 not quite 2 years ago. I've had people comment on being able to hear differences in the rounds I shoot. I always thought they were imagining things. They wondered if the variations affect my shooting. (I wish I was good enough to blame my bad shots on something like that! :eek: ) I haven't been able to perceive the differences.

One of the guys who run the range loaded a magazine for me with two out of 10 rounds being +P+. I could not tell him which ones they were. He had one of the other guys watch. That guy could tell easily.

Some of the guys at IDPA reload. I may ask one of them to make me a couple boxes of precisely made ammo and see if it makes any difference in my shooting. I just tried out my 45 at IDPA last week. I may have to start reloading to be able to afford that part of the hobby!

12. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Your avatar cracks me up!! LOL

13. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Glad to bring some happiness to someone today :)

14. Viking

Viking Active Member

I think that I had wanted some milder loads like 44 special level for target practice, thing is I could have just used Unique at a reduced load which still fills a great deal of the cartridge and probably would have overflowed on a double charge. Thing is that over the years I gotten so used to the heavy loads that I never use light loads anymore.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Double charges are dangerous indeed. There is a theory about very light charges of very fast powder casuing even more destruction. Minimal charges of Bullseye have probably destroyed more guns than double charges.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

25 years ago, I switched to H-110 powder for ALL of my magnum loads.

Completely impossible to double charge.

17. Viking

Viking Active Member

Since Hodgdon has taken over Winchester Western and IMR powders it's surprising that they haven't dropped 296 considering that H-110 has the same specs, grain for grain loading, fps, and CUP pressures.

18. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Wow - even if the guy was not hurt that's about $1200 down the crapper...

19. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I agree with using slow-burning powders for .41 mag and .44 mag. H-110 and W296 are all I use for them. They pretty well fill the case so they can be eyeballed pretty quickly. I also weigh every charge and trickle the powder in painfully by dipping a scoop into the supply and trickling it into the scale pan. I'm slower than the 7-year itch, but it keeps accidents like this from happening.

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Probably they have kept both brands so they won't lose the customers who have always used W296, thinking it is "the best" powder.