Dorm-legal BOB

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Mr. Bluesky, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

If I happen to be up here at school when the SHTF, I'd like to be prepared. If possible, I'd like everything to fit into a large-ish backpack, as I have a pretty sturdy one already.

First priority: Good folding-blade knife, suitable for any use including defense. As I live in the residence halls, any kind of firearm is right out. Although knives are counted as weapons, the de facto consensus is that fixed blades are barred but folding tend to be okay. Any recommendations?

Second: Water. I have a couple of large Lexan bottles, but I drink a lot of water, so I'd like to have a means of getting more. Iodine tablets/compact filter of some kind?

Third: Food. I'm thinking three to five days' worth. I have a Costco pack of Clif bars up here to snack on, but I'm sure you diehards know of a better option for serious scenarios.

Fourth: First aid kit. Got a pretty decent one, but I don't know if it's as complete as it could be. It has:
    - Bandages
    - Alchol swabs
    - Gauze pads
    - Medical tape
    - ACE wraps
    - Antibiotic ointment
    - Pain reliever

Other stuff:
    - Strike-anywhere matches
    - Compass
    - Down sleeping bag w/ compression sack
    - Socks and underwear
    - Duct tape
    - Flashlight
    - Paracord
    - Chapstick
    - Gloves
    - Season-appropriate outerwear

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, help is appreciated. I participated in BSA during grade school, so I know how to use my compass, make a fire, and basic survival. I already wear a pair of good hiking boots every day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010

2. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

3. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Maybe some Vaseline or KY to rub on your arms and legs so the zombies can't get a good grip when they try to grab you. Other than that you seem pretty prepared. Shark suits are good for actual zombie bites but they probably cost a lot and take up loads of space.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Here's a few suggestions you may want to think about. Of course, weight is always a consideration, but you know what you can carry.

Sanitary napkins and tampons
    Chap stick or something similar
    Sweater/sweatshirt
    poncho
    duct tape
    paracord
    flashlight
    gloves (pigskin work gloves or something similar, not bulky)

Don't forget some basic hygiene items like a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Take a look at Katadyn Extreme water filter bottles.

You may also want to include a hatchet as well. It can give you a bit more reach than a knife.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Awesome. I have a nice hoodie and a waterproof windbreaker, which I can layer to make a pretty decent winter coat. Duct tape and flashlight, definitely. Gotta see if I can find a decent human-powered light, spare batteries are heavy. Where's the best place to get paracord?

Hatchet is out, would be considered a weapon. Does that shovel or an e-tool of some kind look like a reasonable option? Or is it just a gimmick?

6. CA357

I have a folding E-tool. I don't think it's worth hauling the extra weight, I just keep it with the rest of the supplies. The hatchet was just a thought and not what I would consider a necessity.

I have a very basic SureFire flashlight Surefire G2 LED Flashlight But when I bought it, it was twenty bucks cheaper. ;) I just keep the batteries fresh.

A mini Mag Lite still works, is lightweight and is dirt cheap and I used them dependably for years, but I prefer the G2 now. You don't need to go overboard, just get something sturdy and keep the batteries fresh.

7. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

By the way, the point of this bag is to make the 80-100 mile hike, depending on route, from university to home. I'm figuring about 20 miles a day, does that seem right?

EDIT: A thought. Maybe once I get it put together I'll try the trip this summer. Could be fun.

8. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Better get some really comfortable, durable shoes or boots. To me, there is nothing worse than having something wrong with your feet and having to walk a long distance.

9. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Covered, mentioned in the OP. I walk three or four miles a day around campus, not to mention I'm an avid hiker during the summer, so I've definitely got good boots.

10. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Sorry, I missed that part. Please don't hit me. :(

11. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

One a' these days, Alice! Straight to da moon!

12. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

Hey man I feel your pain. I couldn't even keep a folding knife in my dorms (Campus police took it) what I did was keep it all in my car. If you have no car, then you have a problem. I would suggest a good multi-tool as it has many purposes and the police handed it right back to me when they took my knife. Also, if you have a roommate I would try and get him on board with the prepping. Other than that try and keep it light and read some of the lists on here, TONS of good info, and no one can think of everything. Also, if your planning on hoofing it I would use the internet to find some good resting/camping spots along the way. Also, Bugging in is always the best idea. Hope I helped.

13. CA357

Moleskin! Pack some. ;)

14. whirley

whirley New Member

Good sturdy well fitted boots. With new bioots, put on with good cushion sole socks, then soak the boots in water and walk in them until they're dried That will stretch the leather amd mold it to your feet. I've never had a blister or a corn. I have EEEE wide feet, so I like a Munson Last type boot. Second, at least three pairs of good socks. Change several times a day, and they'll dry tied to your pack harness. Don't forget toilet paper. Leaves just don't do it, and there's always the possibility of poison ivy. A GI entrenching tool. With a sharpened edge can be used as an axe if necessary, and perhaps a 15 minute highway flare. They'll start a fire under almost impossible conditions. Average walking speed over rough ground is about 2 mph, however 3 mph on roads is easy. The Roman mile was 1000 paces, that's 2000 thirty inch steps. A space age blanket makes a good ground sheet, and the heat reflecting side will reduce body heat loss under adverse conditions. About 8 drops of iodine will purify a canteen of water, BUT you must learn to practice water discipline. The trial hike sounds like a good idea. Good luck, and I hope you never have to use the emergency kit!