Doomsday preppers

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Frank827, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

Anybody heard of this new show?
    Supposed to debut on February 7 on nat geo channel. Looks like a cool show to check out, anyone seen the trailer? What do you think?

2. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I had seen the documentary that this show was based on. Some people are just Looney but there are a ton of great ideas and ingenuity. I am very curious to see some of the stuff shown.

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Just hope they're not gonna make folks look like kooks... I hear the documentary kind of leaned that way in some instances.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I'll give it a go for at least one episode. If it turns out like some of the other idiotic reality shows, it won't get a second chance.

5. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

Yeah I hope so too. It could steer non-gun people into thinking "wow these people with guns are insane" but I guess it all depends on how the editors make the final product.

6. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Maybe they'll feature the red jacket flame thrower or at least the suppressed grenade launcher.
    I'm holding out for my phaser. I thought that's why we developed the space program. All I got was tang and Velcro. Oh, and where's my jet pack?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

I didn't know this was based off a documentary. I'm also really curious to see not just the gun & ammo preppers but the people that have huge amounts of food in storage.

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

They had one family that was almost completely self sufficient. They turned an in-ground pool into a pond to raise fish, above the fish was a vegetable garden and above that was chickens. The chicken would feed off of compost and their "droppings" would fertilize the garden, the garden would gather insects which would eventually fall into the pool to feed the fish. Pretty cool.

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

A blogger wrote on this subject today. I check him out almost every day. He sounds ok about it. He was given a preview of the first show.

http://teotwawkiblog.blogspot.com/

10. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

Thanks for posting that link. Kinda sucks that the producers make them choose one disaster they're prepping for. I wonder why they'd make them choose...

11. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

This is on NatGeo and they have a big liberal agenda - I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

12. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

watched both shows tonight, not bad had some good ideas, liked the shipping containers, but what about zoning? would be nice for underground storage. Nice he had some military/ex-military in his group good bug out plan, liked his attitude on what nat-geo said about his food being in one place.

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Agreed.. I recorded both episodes but was only able to watch the first one before heading off to bed.. I thought the fella with the shipping container compound was pretty cool. The young kid looked like he wasn't into it though.. Anywho, some of the reasons for prep'n seem to be a little out there and get pointed out later in each segment. Case in point: The likelyhood of the poles shifting.. I know mother natures got some stuff going on and there are more quakes hitting the world than ever before, I just found their reason for prep'n a little lame... I think we've got a better chance of a zombie apocolyps than a polar shift:rolleyes:

14. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

polar shifts do happen, it just doesn't happen over night. and I don't think south america is going to break off and head north.

15. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

The type of things that most of these people are prepping for will cover many different scenarios. It might be that the show producers are pinning them down to a particular calamity that way everyone doesn't just say it is all for when the SHTF.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I dont get the channel its on :( I could see bias happening though. I wish "the colony" didn't get canceled I liked that one.

17. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I was surprised to see NatGeo take the whole thing pretty serious rather than just trying to make preppers look crazy. They had some good tips, and the knowledge some of those people had was impressive; even the hippy in L.A.

18. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

It was much better than I thought. Though the girl from Houston seemed really out of shape for someone who supposedly works out 4 hrs per day like she said. I swear she must know the producer because it didn't seem like she really had much going for her except a lot of stuff thrown into a second bedroom.

19. bar

bar New Member

I saw both episodes as well. There was definitely some good ideas and info to see from most of it. Unfortunately with NatGeo being so liberal I definitely believe that their main goal is to try and poke fun at these people and make them look nuts. They did not specifically come out say anything like that it is just an overall feeling you get from what kind of questions they are asking them, to get their comments and opinions, and also just the way it is edited. I will keep watching because I believe there will still be good info to get from it, I just hope they don't start going too negative with the show and try to make any of us preppers look crazy.

20. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I agree that I am VERY leery of NatGeo. We will see how it goes.