Doomsday food price scenario

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fireguy, May 19, 2011.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not for nothing but one of the major reasons I left the suburbs outside the NYC area was too buy land and start growing my own food. It didn't pan out that way and I ended up buying a condo for beans. It's still the goal though - find 20+ acres that I can develop to sustain myself in all aspects - food, energy, safety.

2. bkt

bkt New Member

You really don't need a lot of land to sustain yourself. 20 acres is great for a small farm business but WAY more than you need if you're just worried about supporting your family and maybe a few others. An acre or two may be plenty.

But by all means go get some land and get planting!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If SHTF, I don't think there's much probability of a Hedge Fund feeding me.

Buy non-hybrid seeds, plant the vegetables and then save the seeds. Can, dry or otherwise save some of the food you grow.

We're on about a quarter acre. I don't think that's enough to feed others, but I think it will squeak two people by if we're prudent.

If you haven't stocked up a bunch of food and other supplies yet, start now.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I got a call a few years ago from a Realtor based on an info request I made online. He took my info and about a week later a package arrived at my door. It was listing for property in British Columbia, Canada. The asking price was $1.3million for ...

wait for it ...

wait ...

just a bit more ...

1.4 million acres! :eek: At the time I could afford about $175-$200k for land so I went around to every friend I had and asked if they wanted in on it. Unfortunately only 3 were willing to go in but damn if I didn't want that property. :(

5. CA357

You could have started your own country; Dogotopia. :D

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Exactly! :D

7. CA357

Preposterous! :D

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Inconceivable :eek: ..... or is it? :cool:

9. CA357

I dunno. You Sicilian? ...and is death on the line? :cool:

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Google or youtube for Jules Dervaes. He had a 1/5-acre lot in Pasadena, CA and half of that (1/10 acre) was dedicated to producing food. By planting intelligently he was able to get three tons of food per season out of it.

Take a look here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIFPFpxBFVE]YouTube - ‪The Urban Homestead California Heartland (PBS)‬‏[/ame]

Personally, I don't need for that much food and I don't have the skill or time to dedicate to tending to food production on that scale. But with double that amount space I can easily produce enough food through summer and enough to last through the other seasons.

11. CA357

Very cool. Thanks for the video.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen what Asian farmers can squeeze out of a small plot and it is amazing. We had a 30'x30' garden when we were up in Washington and it produced quite a bit of food. We were on 1.2 acres. We had rabbits in cages and a couple sheep in the pasture area. We got lambs for eating. One friend raised 2 pigs every year and we bought one. Butchered at 200 lbs. we would buy 1/2 a steer from a neighbor. I had elk, deer and fish along with it. We had to leave because of politicians playing power games. Wiped out the economy and everything went to hell for quite a few years.

13. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

IF or better yet WHEN we get down to planting gardens to eat, will need a lot of friends to protect the ones planting, can't plant and protect yourself, take care of and then harvest what grown and put up the produce without a lot of friends around to insure safety.
    Seeds for planting and deciding who is coming in for everything else while it's still peaceful.
    Sizing people up while in an emergency situation is hard, if not impossible, best done while it's quiet.

14. CA357

You make an excellent point Yellowhand.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

It will definitely take more to protect what you have than to provide what you need. That's the reason for forts (Boonesborough) in early Am Hist. Who do you want to share with? Who will be the Boss? These are important questions. Wouldn't count to much on legal titles if things get truly bad. Ability (and inclination) to enforce one's will on others will be crucial.

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm screwed here! Nothing grows but weeds, shore pine and Salal!! My asparagus patch is overgrown with Salal, can't keep it out. Can't live on lettuce and cabbage but it is better than nothing I guess.

Thank God for sea food, Elk and Deer!!

17. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

Yesterday I heard that Oboma is planning on sending 50 metric tons of wheat to Jordan. Then I hear that corn is expected to go up 30% and wheat 20% by this time next year.
    Can you say $10.00 bread?

18. CA357

Orowheat bread is close to five bucks a loaf here already. We like the brand, but only buy it if it's on sale. Three bucks or more for a loaf is the going rate for halfway decent sliced bread here in NorCal. I can't imagine trying to raise a family at the food prices here.

Gas is still over four bucks a gallon, taxes are out of control and the media is still standing in line to give Maobama a BJ.

I'm ready to apply some tar and feathers to some people.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  19. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

On a somewhat related note, there have been several "share crops" (or, whatever they are called, where you own the land but other people farm it) popping up around here lately. There is a set of apartments in town with an empty lot next to it that has been turned into a share crop for the apartment. Pretty neat i think, and its a good idea, instead of every person trying to supply food for themselves, if you live in an area with just a few houses around than you could work like a community... As for people in the city... sorry :( I would suggest leaving, before the shtf i mean lol