Don't tell anyone I own this . . .

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Jun 1, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

This is just between you and me, right? Sorta like a gun forum version of "hot tub" rules. What is said on FireArmsTalk stays on FireArmsTalk.

We all like to brag about our guns. I sure do. And by damn, each us has the baddest, coolest, deadlist, and generally best-est guns on the face of the planet.

But . . . what about the one you rarely mention? The ugly duckling hidden from the public eye. The red-headed stepchild of your collection. The one you feel guilty about ignoring, but you just can't bring yourself to love. You feel sorry for it, mebbe, but that warm feeling is just not there.

Mine is an old RG .38 Special of the kind pictured below. My actual gun is wrapped in an old t-shirt and kept in my "just in case" bag in the trunk of my car. Oh, believe me, there's another gun with me . . . I just frankly didn't know what else to do with it. Sorta a back up for my back up, 'cause when you pull the trigger it does go "bang".

I'm not even sure where I got it, or why. I think that years and years ago one of my brother's friends needed bail money or something, and I bought it and another gun for $75.00. I believe I got the worst end of the deal.

So . . . just between us . . . what gun do you own that sorta embarrases you to be seen with?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I use to own a Glock 17 in the early 1990s.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I gave me son a Titan Tiger snub nose .38sp and a box of 158gr cast lead. Better then a sharp stick.
    [​IMG]

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

All of my rifles and shotguns are locked in the safe. So, I keep a High-Point JHP .45 in my tee shirt drawer. It's heavy and it's not pretty... but it separates lead from brass every time I pull the trigger.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, High-Point. although I just bought it to see what all the fuss was about. It worked as advertised, and once I saw, I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from at a loss. No regrets. Some day I will do the same with Glock.

6. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I own a Jennings J-22. If I simply HAD to let go of one, that would probably be the one. :(

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Ah . . . the reference to the Jennings reminded me of my other ugly duckling -- a Davis .22 derringer. At one time I actually had TWO of them. Got one from a client, and the other was the second gun I got with the RG.

8. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

It's got to be the Roy Rodgers cap pistol. :rolleyes:

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

For those with guns that they are embarrassed by, I will take them, and even pay shipping! This poor boy takes all donations!

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have had a few that were ugly ducklings and wouldn't have wanted anyone to know i owned them as well.

luckily i have learned from past mistakes and hopefully have learned to make much better buying decisions.

IMO, with the internet and gun forums, it should be much easier to make informed buying decisions when it comes to firearms.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun. That's my motto.

12. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I guess lucky me I don't own an ugly gun. I personally have bought a Ruger LC9, Remington R1, Saiga IZ-240, Rem 870, a Mosin Nagant and a Henry 22. I've inherited/been gifted an H&R 410 break action, a Stephens model 67D, and a Winchester Model 24. I guess if I had to get rid of one it'd be the Stephens.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

All of my ugly/embarrassing guns are gone. They've all been either traded for better guns or sold to fund better guns.

14. ttsl

ttsl New Member

none, man, I got over that, (and the "collector-safe queen" stage) about 35 years ago. If I dont have a real use for it, I don't own it. I never have understood why anyone does, actually? Either junk or the opposite. I can remember having a .38 Charter, broke the transfer bar. It took the factory 6 months to send me the part. When it came in the mail, I realized that I had forgotten that I even owned the piece of junk. As soon as I replaced the part, I testfired it and sold it the same day. I think that is when I began to be "allergic" to guns that I was not really using.

I've owned something like 150 guns. Some of them I'd dreamed of for years, and sold them the same day that I bought them, or the next day, after i shot them and discovered their shortcomings! In 1976, I bought a Star PD .45, and discovered that it keyholed cast lead bullets. I had 10,000 rds loaded with such bullets, and back then, I was under the very much mistaken impression that they were the best choice for defensive pistol work, So I sold the PD. While I later wished i hadn't, I no longer would buy another. I have shot so much ammo thru 1911 variants that I no longer need to practice much with them, nor would I normally carry a belt gun, of any type. The only one I own is a .45 combat commander, for the occasional match and big game hunting.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

You go big game hunting with a .45?

16. Axxe55

get him to tell you how fast his quick draw is!

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Ummm . . . another thread, mebbe.

18. Axxe55

read some of his posts....... but back on topic...............

i did forget about that little Rohm 22 short pistol out in the gun shed hanging from a hook over my workbench...............

19. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

It's either my Einbar .25, my FIE E22, or my Stevens model 258a.
    The Stevens has been broken, fixed by me, then broken even worse (by me).
    The Einbar is an old POS, although it goes bang when you squeeze the trigger (it may not feed the next puny round, though), so it sits in my "last resort" weapons pouch.
    The FIE was a total POS when I got it. I wound up finding the right ammo that works %80 of the time, making a new firing pin, extractor spring, and extractor pin, so now it works a little better, but it's still crap.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  20. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

What's so bad about it?