Don't Talk To The Police

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Polygon, May 30, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just remember these words; "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." Transversely, anything you say can't be used for you in a court of law. Here are a couple of great videos. I didn't even think about some of this. They are a little long, but well worth watching.

Don't Talk To The Police

The Other Side Of The Story

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Not all police have sold their soul to the thin blue line. All over America police are having to arrest their own for one thing or another. Just check out http://privateofficernews.wordpress.com/ and see the number of times police are arrested for their own self gratifications.

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Please watch the videos. This is not a thread about untrustworthy LEOs. This is about not incriminating yourself.

4. Major_Major

Major_Major New Member

Im just going to say it...If your not doing anything wrong then whats the problem...When an officer asks for an ID its for his or her safety....Wouldn't you like to know if your on a traffic stop and the individual has warrants and or advisement's...A little bit of respect and honesty for the police goes a long ways when dealing with them....Common sense

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Once again, just watch the video and you will see. This has nothing to do with an officer asking you to show them your ID. This is about making statements to the police and even if you're didn't do anything wrong you might say something that can incriminate you. Even if you only tell them the truth. Also, talking to them CAN'T help you in any way shape or form.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

As it pertains to use of lethal force, Polygon is correct. Here is a quick list on don't do's should you be forced to shoot:

1. Don't...be the last one dialing 911. Report it yourself so that first responders know the shooter is licensed, waiting at the scene, claiming self defense, and on the phone with dispatch when they arrive.

2. Don't...Immediately start running your mouth about what happened. Your adrenaline will still be pumping and this chemical added to a high stress situation can make the most level headed person say some pretty stupid things. Instead simply comply with orders, surrender your weapon and ID and say nothing other than "I thought I was going to die" or "he said he was going to kill me". If you get an aggressive Cop pressing you go ahead and fake some chest pains. An ambulance ride will give you time to calm down and get an attorney without the first guy on scene reporting that you Lawyered Up.

3. Don't...put your gun in your car or give it to your girlfriend or any other nonsense. Many have made this error thinking that LEO's would appreciate the weapon being secured before they arrive but this is usually taken as "intent to hide evidence". Instead just holster it and wait. If you did nothing wrong then you've nothing to hide.

I'm sure some of our other experienced CCW members and LEO's can add a few more.

Tack

7. vincent

vincent New Member

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i went through military police school this was drummed in our heads day and nite: if you as a military police did not write it down it did not happen.

during a field ex we were acting as op-for and given a card to read with a "military secret". we were then turned over to military intelligence, we read our cards and werent allowed to disclose the information. i was interviewed by a gentleman much like the guy in the second video and after a long 6 hours he knew what was on my card. i never ever directly said what was written on it.

my mistake was engaging him in everyday conversation.

if you get tucked away in a police interrogation or interview the ONLY thing that should come out of your mouth is "i want a lawyer" even if your 1000% totaly innocent with an affidavit from god himself in your pocket.

9. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I learned this early, it's common sense really, the LEO's job is to "build a case" against you, they are not your friends nor are they there to help you, so don't say anything other than "Am I being detained?"

10. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Good stuff. Thx.

I get from this.......

"ANYTHING you say CAN be used AGAINST you....but nothing you say can help you"

Often cops will say something like this.....

"Ok, look, you can tell me what happened right here and now, or....we can go downtown and talk about it there." If you don't talk, they know you will face towing fees (if in a vehicle) plus the possibility of spending the night (or more) in jail. I guess it's best to always avoid cops if at all possible.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my suggestion is say nothing without an attorney present. what if something you say is taken out of context or say something, meaning something different. less said the better. ordinary citizens are not trained in legal matters and attorneys are. retaining an attorney isn't an admission of guilt, but show good sense. all you need to say is, i will be glad to give you a statement when my attorney is present, and after i speak with him first.

12. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I live in California where there is no castle doctrine so if you defend yourself with a firearm you are just rolling the dice on whether you are going to prison or not. Good advice about not incriminating yourself. Ive had a few unfortunate encounters with law enforcement and over the years have learned they are definatley not your friends. Keeping your mouth shut and thinking about what your are going to say next is the best thing you can do. Nobody likes lawyers until you need one. I despise the legal system so much that I obey all traffic laws and drive the speed limit because I dont want the bastards to get one red cent from me. When the sheriffs dept call for a donation I just tell them they got their donation years ago when I went through their court system. Well thats my rant for today.:D

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DO- cooperate. That means do what you are told to do. Sit, stand, etc.
    DO- identify yourself if asked.
    DO- acknowledge questions asked of you as in "Do you understand this?"
    DO- state "I would like to speak with my attorney, and do not want to answer any questions at this time."

YES! We know you were the good guy! YES! We know you are full of adrenalin, and want to let the officer know you ARE one of the good guys.

I cannot think of anyone that needs an attorney MORE than an innocent man. Frankly, you will be pretty clueless about what is going on around you, and will probably be somewhat shocky.

BTW- when you call that attorney, was that the name and phone number that was scratched on the wall next to the payphone at police HQ? Being a good guy, you do not KNOW any lawyers, except the one that handled closing on your house and Momma's Will- and he don't do shootings. HAVE a lawyer in mind- and have his phone number in your wallet.

Need a suggestion for a lawyer BEFORE you need one? Talk with the Deputies that work security for the courts- they have probably observed more lawyers than you will ever see unless you tend bar next to the law school.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have learned a lot from this thread. Thank you.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thx c3 for your idea. I will find a lawyer and keep his # handy. We never know it might come handy. Fingerscrossed!

16. MountaineerGlocker

MountaineerGlocker New Member

Great videos! Glad I took the time to watch them. Very informative.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I just remember the burden of proof is upon the plaintiff,

until I open my big mouth...

Also google "flex your rights". A real

eye-opener.

BTW, "I feel ill, I'm having chest pains." and

"I need to go to the bathroom." will not incriminate you,

and it is a legal requirement that any force detaining you

provide for you immediate welfare.

So, sometimes a combo can get you free:

"I'm having chest pains. Am I free to leave now?"

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

C3,

I would add to your suggestion to make sure the lawyer(s) whose number you carry is answered 24/7. I carry three different attorney's numbers in my phone (first failure, they are only in my phone), and have either a 24/7 number or their personal cell phone number, and have at least introduced myself to all three.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Good advice up there ^^^. If the only place you have the number is in your phone- and your phone is down at the property room.....:eek:

20. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Does anyone know anything about the USCCA and the "insurance" they have for SD? I'm asking because I've read their emails but never met anyone that has it.