Don't shop at Rileys anymore.

Discussion in 'New Hampshire Gun Forum' started by Mkilbride, Aug 22, 2012.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

My question is why isn't the owner keeping tabs on his help himself? If someone has to go to the owner with a problem, he should take that as a REALLY bad sign. There is another gun shop I go to around here. Their help can be, uhhh, eccentric. Some days really friendly, some days super grouchy and not wanting to talk. l chalk a certain amount of this up to "That's the way gun shop guys are."

That's a good part of why I go to Lee's. Never a problem. BTW, he's changing his name to Gunrunners 101.

2. bladeguy

bladeguy New Member

I was recently denied at Riley's myself. Drove up to the Department of Safety in Concord to find out why. Turns out I had an unpaid traffic ticket in Mass. from 1989. Why that never came up before I'll never no. Cleared up the ticket, faxed paper work to Concord, had my gun 2 days later.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

3. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

I had no idea that anyone could be denied for traffic tickets, that's crazy. Glad it worked out for you.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, that's interesting. I have imagined that Mass was to screwed up to communicate with any other states effectively. Although, I suppose that's true if you got the ticket in '89, and it's just showing up now.....

5. marc29th

marc29th Member

I've heard that Mass and RI is trying to raise soI extra money by going after these out tickets mow.

6. marc29th

marc29th Member

Don't try and type while on the exercise bike...

I've heard Mass and RI are trying to raise some extra money by going after these old tickets.

7. bladeguy

bladeguy New Member

Funny thing is, the judge didn't even make me pay the fine, they pulled my record from Mss. (clean) and the judge swore me in and asked one question, "do I have any charges pending in another state?" (no) They gave me a piece of paper saying the arrest warant was dropped, and sent me on my way.

I did have a pocket full of cash, in case they decided to arrest me. After all they did have an outstanding arrest warrant.

It wasn't the traffic ticket that caused the issue, it was the arrest warrant from an unpaid ticket that caused the issue.

8. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

Ok, that makes more sense lol

9. rick2gun

rick2gun New Member

A Riley's Customer for Forty Three Years

I started doing business with Riley's in 1969 when I left the Navy and moved back home to Manchester. Richard and/or Doris Riley were always behind the counters. I can't begin to to count the numbers of firearms I, my wife, my relatives, and friends have bought there as well as reloading supplies, components, and ammo. None of us has ever had a problem there. I have known Ralph for decades and shot competetive pistol with
    him at Wilson Hill Pistol Club. In fairness I should say that Riley's is a client of the service company I own and because of my relocation out of the area some years ago, my shopping opportunities have diminished signifigantly in recent years and have no knowledge of their current staff.

However, I suspect that the curt service my be a result of the wave after wave of customers being pushed and pulled into the store from the our great American Gun Salesman of the Year who occasionally stops in DC between vacations. I am sure that a quiet conversation with Ralph or a short note to him would be an effective way to refocus the the staff regarding how good manners breeds repeat clients.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

The last time I was in, a kid no more then 19 came over to help. He had no clue what I was talking about. There is also a British gentleman that came over to help. He told me he had no idea as he was a pistol guy. I asked how long he had been in the states. 5 years. I asked when he became naturalized and bought a handgun, he said 3 years ago. Were you in the service, No. Now I ask you. What is an individual that has only 3 years total experience w/ firearms going to do w/ a shooter of over 35 years and a collector. Is he going to advise them???

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Seriously? They hire people like that? A kid who still can't buy a pistol, and a clueless British guy??!!

Nahhh. My negative experiences with them was over 15 years ago. AND, at that time there wasn't even anyone like the above 2 mentioned there, that I remember....

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

Niether were rude, but had no clue.

13. Mauser_man

Mauser_man New Member

I like Pete's. I collect old WW2 rifles and was looking for a Carcano. They had one and I think it was the guys mom but she gave me a great deal and made it feel like I was visiting my Aunt! Good store and good people.

14. Rapomstage3

Rapomstage3 New Member

Sorry to hear that but this is easily the best gun shop I've been too in NH. I make a point to stop at any that I pass. (I drive a lot) This shop has a great reputation and I'd hate for you to miss out on a good ship because of one bad experience. Applebee's screwed up my burger and took forever to bring my food a couple weeks ago but I went there for dinner yesterday a fit was good. Anyways that sucks that happened.