Don't pull that f*cking handle!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Nov 1, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

AKA "Emergency Eject" means "EMERGENCY" :p

BANG! And passenger was gone

Joyrider accidentally ejects from SAAF aerobatic aircraft

Oct 31, 2009 9:26 PM | By ROGER MAKINGS

[​IMG]
    A South African Air Force Silver Falcons aircraft like the one involved in the ejection

The civilian passenger was expecting the ride of a lifetime when he strapped himself into the back seat of a South African Air Force Silver Falcons aircraft.

But after the aircraft took off, he got more than he bargained for - way more.

Although confirmed details are thin, it is probable that during an aerobatic manoeuvre, the passenger tried to steady himself by grabbing the black and yellow striped handle between his legs.

And that's when the ride really began.

The ejection sequence started with the firing of the three cartridges in the Martin Baker-built seat. The seat lifted about 45cm off the floor and this activated the two rockets.

Passenger and seat smashed through the Perspex canopy of the Pilatus PC-7 Mk II and, pulling about 20G, was 100ft out of the aircraft in two seconds flat.

The bewildered, and probably terrified, former occupant, whose identity has not been revealed, would have found himself floating in the crisp afternoon air of the Western Cape's Langebaanweg, probably watching as his equally stunned pilot, Captain Gerhard Lourens, circled to make sure his erstwhile passenger was okay.

In confirming Wednesday's incident, the SAAF said a board of inquiry had been established.

"Much of the information has yet to be tested, but it is confirmed that a civilian passenger unintentionally ejected from a Silver Falcons Pilatus PC-7 Mk II Astra during a general flying sortie out of Langebaanweg Air Force Base this week.

"The passenger was recovered (by helicopter) unharmed, and returned to Langebaanweg. The aircraft landed safely."

The spokesman said the flight had been cleared and all procedures adhered to "prior to the passenger boarding the aircraft", making it unlikely charges would follow.

A retired SAAF instructor pilot said yesterday the passenger could consider himself extremely lucky to have survived the ejection with barely a scratch.

"We train for this and if you don't get it right, and are not in the correct ejection posture, you can sustain severe spinal cord injuries or even worse."

He said it was not possible that the seat fired of its own accord. There were too many safety features built into the system.

"All it takes is for the firing handle (the rubbery black and yellow striped loop) to be pulled up about 2.5cm and you're on your way out."

He said the ejection would have been dramatic. "You get one almighty kick under the backside and then you're gone.

"The seat separates from the pilot automatically and the chute opens. This is in case the pilot is incapacitated during the ejection."

He added that the passenger would have received a thorough briefing on the ejection sequence and warned that the "loop" between his legs was not to be touched unless the pilot called "eject, eject, eject" during the flight.

Such a briefing is done routinely, even when two qualified pilots are involved in the flight.

It is likely the rear cockpit was extensively damaged by the firing of the cartridges and rockets during the ejection.

The Silver Falcons are the SAAF's aerobatic team that perform precision formation and aerobatics displays at airshows around the country. The five pilots are all serving instructors at Central Flying School, Langebaanweg.

As one observer put it: "What a trip. That guy took off in an Astra, came down in a parachute, and landed back at base in a helicopter. Not bad for a for a single flip."

BANG! And passenger was gone - Times LIVE

2. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

Well when I was younger if someone (aside from my Dad, I enjoyed being able to walk without limping) told me not to do something you could basically just consider it done. Totally not his fault... :D

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I bet that dude had the biggest racing streaks in his drawers.

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

A.K.A. skidmarks in his skivvies..... [​IMG]

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That would pucker anyone's brown eye...

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Not much scares me. I'm not bragging when I say I've seen and done enough that it takes quite a bit to kick my adrenaline in.

If this happened to me, I would sooo s**t myself. I don't mean a little. I mean that 10 pounds of undigested red meat we're supposed to have in our colon somewhere? I'd find it and it would be out. Those 4 pennies I swallowed as a kid? $1.35 now, with the interest.

Terrifying enough if you knew it was coming. But to be tooling along, and then whoops!, nah. I'd definitely s**t myself. Several times.:eek:

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm thinking they would've needed more than a 9mm to get me on that helicopter after all that jazz. I will agree on the drawer soilage, as well; i'd have been a serious salad shooter.

Is that a propellor on that plane? :eek:

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Honestly. My first moment would have been SHEAR terror! Absolute terror.

Then, if I could get past the "How much money did I just blow" worries, I would have been loving the ride on the way down. :D

9. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Indeed it is orangello :)

Any acrobatic aircraft I've seen are prop-driven. And I know bugger-all about planes so I'm guessing that's standard :D

10. WDB

WDB New Member

I saw a show called Pawnstars, It's a show where people bring odd things into a pawn shop to pawn/sell. One of the items was an ijector seat from a fighter plane. The guy bought it at a yard sale. He owned it for several years but the best part it was still armed:eek: If he or anyone else had pulled the red handle they would have been promptly shot through the roof of there house.

My question first was that real? If I had something like that I bought for an odd reason I expect at some point in time I or someone close to me would have pulled the red handle. The guy had no clue it was armed ejector seat, thought it had been used......so what prevented him or someone from pulling the red handle over several years:confused:

If you say he checked it out and knew better, you would be wrong, he had no clue, he thought it was spent and didn't know it was armed.

Back on point, If I eject from an airplane, burn the cloths I'm wearing because they will all be covered in Shzt:eek:

11. orangello

orangello New Member

At the few airshows i've seen, individuals did their aerobatics behind a prop. I guess it just threw me off that it seemed to be part of a national Air Force or military. Here, the only military aerobatics team i'm familiar with is the Blue Angels in their fighter jets (F18's, i think). Maybe the Blue Angels would be considered more of a precision flying group than an aerobatic group, i'm not sure. Blue Angels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I haven't seen them in years, but they were very impressive when i did see them.

I don't know much about planes either, mainly only that i like them MUCH better from a distance. :)

12. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

lol, thanks for the laugh.

i would have lost my mud too, then been ok when the parachute deployed, then lost it again when they told me how much it would cost to replace a cockpit and re-arm an ejector seat.

that can't be cheap.....

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I wonder if you could use them rockets on say a bicycle or vespa? Worlds fastest vespa 75 mph with an extra kick from the SRB's strapped to the side of it.

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

If one can indeed be had at a yard sale or pawn shop, and I can find it, you can bet the farm my next purchase is an Astin Martin, you can bet I'm installing it, and you can bet I'm legally changing my name to Bond.

That would be so effin epic.

Yellow Booking pawn shops now.:cool:

15. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Record that phone call. Speak with a British accent, too! I wanna hear you ask for an armed ejection seat...

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Does nobody remember the Darwin award winner who put a SRB (of some type for cargo planes on short runways) in the trunk of an impala & then became one with a mountain a few miles away. That would've been one helluva ride & i'd bet the driver was thinking he should've had a ejector seat. edit* http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html was confirmed bogus. :(

IIRC from that episode of Pawnstars, i'm fairly sure the shop didn't buy the seat from dude.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Looks impressive man, they must have been amazing to see. The RAAF acrobatics team are propellor driven which is why I thought they all were; for comparison: Roulettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Saw them go through their paces at Richmond Air Force base once, along with the ever crowd-pleasing Spitfire (just love that throaty growl) and a C-5 Galaxy transport was also there, your fine countrymen waving ello from the cockpit ;) Astounding how many tanks you can fit in one of those things!

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[​IMG]

This would be pretty fast...albeit backwards lol