Don't mess with a man of God who's packing!!

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by NC1760, Oct 21, 2013.

1. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

This is beyond cool!!;
    Indiana pastor pulls gun on man, stops robbery
    By Daniella Silva, NBC News

A pistol-packing pastor helped foil a stick-up when he pulled his handgun on a man trying to rob an Indiana discount store Friday night, police said.

Pastor Carl Sanders, who has a permit to carry a firearm, managed to hold the suspect at the Dollar General Store in Evansville on the until police arrived.

Evansville Police said Jermaine Dewayne Marshall, 25, walked into the store and, with a bandanna over his face and an unknown object wrapped in plastic in his hand, demanded money from a worker at the register. The employee refused.
    "Marshall tells the individual again to open the register and points this object he's trying to pass off as a firearm at the employee," said Capt. Andy Chandler of the Evansville Police Department.
    When the clerk refused again, Marshall struck him several times in the face.

That's when Pastor Sanders walked into the store.

Sanders told NBC affiliate WFIE Evansville that Marshall came at him with what appeared to be a gun wrapped in plastic.
    "He was telling me to get on the ground," Sanders told WFIE. "That's when I pulled my weapon and say, 'No, you get on the ground. I laid my life down for some people, knowing they were going to be OK," Sanders said, adding that Marshall "didn’t deserve to be hurt, I wasn't going to hurt him, but I wanted him to know you can't do this."

Sanders called the police and kept Marshall covered until police arrived, Chandler said. Police discovered that Marshall had been trying to pass off a spoon wrapped in a plastic bag as a firearm.
    No one in the store was reported injured.

Full story; http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...na-pastor-pulls-gun-on-man-stops-robbery?lite

...and reported by NBC no less. Gives me hope for this country.

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

pastor foils robbery

Ksdk.com

Carl sanders, a pastor, walked into a dollar general while it was being robbed. The bad dude was holding something like a gun in a plastic bag, when the pastor walked in. Carl pulled his pistol and ended the bad guys plans for easy money.

3. primer1

Mods, please close. Nc1760 beat me by a minute, with links too.

4. primer1

You beat me to it by one minute.

Moral of the story: a spoon in hand isn't mightier than a pistol, especially when the big guy is watching.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your shame for no links shall be preserved in this thread!!

6. primer1

On a Droid, no linky :(

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Please excuse me for saying this, but the pastor was a fool. If that had been a gun wrapped in the plastic the pastor could have been at least injured and the robber could have scored a back-up piece. I don't care if it was a copy of Famous French War Heroes wrapped in that plastic. If a reasonable person could believe it was a gun, then legally it was a gun. When the robber turned it on the pastor it was time for him to defend himself.

8. primer1

I see your point doc, but you are calling a pastor a fool for not killing an unarmed man.

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Oh now that is tasty. Should a man of god, sworn to see the best in humanity, assume that lethal force is the first choice? Take away true faith and conviction. Then its just one scared man against another. What would Jesus do? Seriously, I'm asking that.

BTW. Props to the pastor for treading the line. Not an easy call for anyone.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the pastor did the right thing in some ways, with the fact that he was lucky that it wasn't a real gun. had it been, there is the chance he could have been hurt or killed. maybe he was following his instincts in doing it the way he did. even had he shot the man, he would have been justified IMO, because the man had just attempted a robbery and also committed assault on the clerk, and most any reasonable person would be able to think the man was armed.

in this scenario, i don't think there is a right or wrong answer. there are many different ways this could have turned out, other than the way it did. for the pastor, maybe it's better for his own peace of mind that it did turn out the way it turned out by him not shooting an unarmed robber.

11. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I think that the pastor was used as a tool by the big guy upstairs! So that nobody got hurt any further.

12. Axxe55

it's easy for us to sit in our comfy chairs, within the relative safety of our own homes and to play monday morning quarterback to his actions that day. he was there, and we weren't. he probably did what he felt like was the right course of action.

the man was unarmed, but did the pastor know that? probably not. this man even though unarmed did just attempt a robbery, and did assault the clerk and then turned on the pastor. the pastor presented his gun and the robber complied.

i think we are forgetting that carrying a pistol is not about using it as the first option, but as a last resort. and if merely presenting it, prevents further criminal activity, then so much the better. if the mere presence of a gun prevents a criminal act without one shot fired, then it has still done it's job.

i feel IMO, he would have been justified in shooting the robber, simply because i feel that he had no real knolwdege that the man was not armed, but am glad it turned out as it did, without a person being killed.

13. 1911love

1911love New Member

And how was supposed to know what was in the bag? Good thing courts don't work like that. Using lethal force is about the info you have at that very moment, not info discovered after the incident is over.

14. primer1

So you think he should have shot him? See the last several posts.

15. Axxe55

this is why i said there is actually not a right or wrong answer to thiis.

it's good he didn't have to shoot. but still had he shot him, by all things considered, he would have still been justified.

maybe by divine intervention, he was told not to shoot, but hold him till LEO's showed up. gut intsincts, who knows. but this fact is clear, a LAC used a firearm while carrying concealed and prevented further criminal activity and a BG went to jail. i call that one for the good guys.

16. 1911love

1911love New Member

If someone is robbing a store and says they have a gun, even though it's wrapped in plastic, a reasonable person would believe them to be armed.

I would believe them to be armed, and when said gun is pointed at me I would defend myself.

Now that all the info is out, it's easy to see it as a "no shoot" situation. At the time of occurrence it's obviously a "shoot" situation IMO.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Under law he was not unarmed. He represented that he was armed, he had something wrapped in plastic that he said was a gun. He used that item wrapped in plastic in a manner that to a reasonable person would lead them to believe it was a gun. Guess what. Under law it is a gun. He is guilty of the forcible felony of armed robbery.

Being a forcible felony, and being that he turned to aim the "gun" at the pastor, the pastor had every reason to be in fear for his life. Why does the pastor have a carry permit? Why did the pastor have a firearm on his person? Why did the pastor draw the firearm if he was not prepared to shoot?

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If it was me in the pastor's shoes, there is an extremely good possibility that the would be robber would be suffering from gunshot wounds right now. Unless it was so blatantly obvious that the item in the bag was not a gun, I would have taken my shot before he could bring the gun to bear on me.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

These are as important a set of questions that can be raised in this particular incident.

Say what you want about this man of God and what he did or didn't do and how right or wrong it might have been.
    ...But...He legally carries a firearm on his person. So he honestly should be willing to use that as a tool to save his holy bacon. ...legally permitting....Of course.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Obviously, what the pastor did was correct. He stopped the robbery and the assault, he did not shoot anyone, and he survived. Also, the BG survived, and who knows, maybe he learned something and will try working for money instead of just grabbing it.
    Along the lines of stopping an assault by displaying a weapon but not shooting anyone, statistics show that 2 million similar events occur every year in the United States. I personally have had experience with that. I was perfectly willing to shoot, but it didn't turn out to be necessary, so the BG lived and so did I.