Don't let the Bed Bugs Bite.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shihan, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Today at work I had to perform a Bed Bug treatment. This got me to thinking with the increase in Bed Bug infestations in the last few years, that I would share a little info and give little tips for preventing an infestation.

With the Summer travels coming up and Meet and Greets getting ready to happen, I figure I will give one hopefully helpful thread.

Here are a few pictures of Bed Bugs from today's treatment.
    Bed Bug on a mattress.
    [​IMG]

Bud Bugs and Fecal staining in seam of mattress.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They are not always in mattresses, they are in nightstands and other places as well.
    [​IMG]

Finding Bed Bugs in your home has nothing to do with being dirty. It only takes one Bed Bug hitching a ride on your clothing or suitcase to infest your residence.

They can live up to one year without a blood meal. It takes about four weeks to several months depending on the temperature and amount of food available for the development from an egg to an adult. They typically feed every three days. They are drawn out of hiding at night by the warmth of our bodies. It takes about 15 minutes for adults to complete their feeding and less for the nymphs.

When you travel and stay in hotels end even at houses remember this acronym S.L.E.E.P

Survey mattress and boxspring surfaces for signs of an infestation, such as spots on mattress seams, bed sheets and bed skirts.
    Lift and look at all Bed Bug hiding spots, including underneath the mattress, box spring, headboard, and furniture.
    Elevate your luggage on a luggage rack away from the bed and wall, Bed Bugs can often hide behind head boards and picture frames.
    Examine your luggage carefully while packing and when you return home. Keep luggage off the bed and store it away from your bedroom.
    Place all your clothing from your luggage immediately in the dryer for 20 minutes on the highest setting upon returning home from travel.

I hope you found this helpful.

Sleep Tight!

2. freefall

freefall New Member

Thank you. That was very informative and fairly unsettling.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Shi! I am not to be liking you very much right now!!

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for the info Shihan.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thanks for that info. I will follow it to the letter during and after our Meet and Greet. I would HATE for them to happen in my house.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, Shi. Good info.

For those of us that LIVE in hotels, a thought- What is the dirtiest thing in your room? Besides your mind-

Answer- probably the TV remote or the telephone. They get handled by everyone, rarely get wiped down. Think about that next flu season. Next on the list is heat/ac controls, and light switches.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Thanks Shi. I'm not sure what all of our traveling plans are but I don't want to have to give you a call for this reason.

what kind of treatment does it take to get rid of them?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

wow i didnt know any of that. thanks. and yeah ill second how the hell do you get rid of em if they do turn up??

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Many of you know that I am in the hotel business. I can second everything that Shihan said. But I would like to add something important. Bed bugs can not survive at temperatures above 115 degrees. If you leave your luggage in your car for a few hours in the hot sun...problem solved.

I can also tell you that it doesn't matter if you rent a $39 room at Motel 6 or a $250 room at a Sheridan. Everybody deals with this.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Great info Shi.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'd just like to make it official, I really do hate Shihan.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yeah, I've been itchy since I read this earlier. Sheesh....

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Dang! Camping out FTW!

14. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

are they more prevalent in different parts of the country or are they pretty much spread all over??

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I think they are concentrated in beds, mostly.
    ;)

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

When in doubt ;)

Attached Files:

18. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Thanks for the info...and the creeps. I'm itching already.

19. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

As another frequent traveler, I concur. I always have a couple of small disinfectant sprayers (about the size of breath sprays) in my kit. First things I do upon entering a room are strip off the bed cover and throw it in a corner, spray down the remote, phone, and lamps (don't touch 'em 'till they're dry!), and safe.
    Oh, and NEVER use the in room coffee pot! :eek:

20. delaney

delaney New Member

Yeah i totally agree with you... but with your instruction.. if you are staying at hotel then take some precaution...like..

*use lavender oil around the bed frame and body...
    *Spread some mint leaves...
    *Use the combination of rapeseed oil and pyrethrins..It will directly attack on the bed bugs nervous system..

To share more information about bed bugs ..i am sharing bed bugs pictures... Bed Bugs Pictures