Dont know squat

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by deg, Oct 26, 2013.

1. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Well I went and bought my first muzzle-loader today, used I might add. I have never had enough of a hankering to run out and buy one; but I found a good deal on one (I think, I hope $150.00) so I bought it just incase I get that hankering someday. I know nothing about them other than you load it upside down and backwards from what I am used to. It is a Thompson Center, Renegade .54 cal.. So, it is preowned and has been shot, I have no inclination to shoot it anytime soon, for one good reason, I don't know how. So, what should I do before sticking it in my safe?

2. deg

I thought I might give it a cleaning first - do I just use regular gun oil afterwards, nothing special?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yep. If you want to give it a good thorough cleaning. Take the barrel out of the stock. Fill a bucket full of hot water and dawn soap. Stick the barrel in the bucket and plunge the water through it with cleaning rod and patch. Do this a couple times then switch to just hot water and do again. Rinse thoroughly and run an alcohol pad through it. Let sit for a few minutes to dry and oil thoroughly with your choice of gun oil.

4. deg

Any idea how the barrel come off, do I need any special tools?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Should be a wedge about half way up the barrel. Push it out with a screwdriver if needed. Give the barrel a little wiggle and it should pull up and out.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you want to post a picture of everything you have I can tell you what you're missing if anything.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You don't need to take the barrel off. They make cleaners that will not hurt the wood or poly . Thompson makes a foaming barrel cleaner that works fabulous . Get the proper brush and cleaning tools & get with it

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Clean it after every 1-2 shots or it will be tough to load from powder buildup . Always clean it well after every outting or it will pit the barrel

9. deg

image-70330226.jpg

image-2136078119.jpg

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

If the inside of the barrel looks as good as the outside, ya got a nice deal.

If it didn't come with a nipple wrench, ya might want to get one, and see if ya can get the nipple out. Oil it good, some people put anti seize on em.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would never clean a modern M/L barrel with water. These rifles have the same barrel technology as your Remington or Winchester. The old soft iron barrels of the past were very different and had short lives.
    Black powder requires a cleaner that will remove the hardened non lubricating propellant. A 98% alcohol and Murphys oil soap left in the bore for 20 minutes and rinsed with alcohol works. The alcohol will dry quickly. Treat the bore with Ballistol or WD-40.
    The old TC Renegade has a very tight bore. A soft .530 ball and a well lubed .0012 patch with an OP wad will work.. Lube your patches well with BP +.:)

12. deg

Nipple wrench!? Where the heck would that be located on this - or is that something he would have handed me? All I got is what you see.

13. deg

Ok - now I am confused. I think I will take it apart for two reasons 1) to know how 2) to see if the inside is as nice as the outside. The outside is nice, I give the guy I got from that. Now, once I get it apart I just need to decide the magic cleaning potion - guess I better break out the old secrete decoder ring...or, see some more feedback from you pros. I got 1 hot water and dawn mix. 1 Thompson foam deal. And 1 Crown Royal and Murphy's oil concoction. Give me some better ideas or votes ya all!

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When we take our time and experience to help you out, and we get a "Smart A&&" response. Buy a Damn book and read it.:p

15. deg

Whoa - I wasn't trying to be a smartie So sorry, please accept my apologies. I really am not sure which way to clean it.

16. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Been using hot soapy water for over 30 years without a problem, just make sure to dry it off and out well before oiling. Nice gun, TC use a hooked breach system... remove the ram rod, squeeze the barrel and stock together by the wedge and push the wedge out (you may need to coax it). Be careful because it's easy to ding up the wood by the wedge if you use say a screw driver or the like to get it out.
    If nothing else, a pair of Ted Cash brass gun hangers and she would make fine display above a door or fireplace.
    And don't worry, some folks get a little thin skinned here form time to time, no big deal, I just blow it off, no harm done.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Hot soapy water. If you use petroleum based oil in the bore and later on decide to shoot it you'll need to clean it all out with alcohol before you load it. BP fouling and petroleum based oils do not play well together.

18. deg

Right-On, appreciate the guidance!

19. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Muzzle loader are a lot of fun. Just make sure you put the powder in first. The next thing to remember is to ensure that the ball or conical bullet is seated firmly on the powder and there are no voids between the projectile and the powder. Lastly, have fun, because they are a lot of fun to shoot. good luck